Thinking about buying 1999 SVT Cobra...

Stangn00b

Jun 25, 2004
Hi guys I'm new to the forum and need some advice. In a few months I'll be buying another car I've been looking at a lot of muscle cars lately Mustangs, Firebirds, and Camaros. Something about the 1999 Cobra just makes me feel all tingly inside it was like luv at first sight. I mean who wouldn't luv a car with IRS, DOHC V8 engine, and that sexy body? I almost made up my mind about buying the 99 Cobra just a few things I got to get answered first before I go out and buy one in 3 months. I heard that 99 Cobras don't put out the advertised power of 320HP due to intake, exhaust, and computer problems. What exactly are the problems ( like muffler/air intake manifold) ? Last those of you that have 99 Cobras how do you guys like them honestly any common problems, how much of a performer is it, and if you could do it all over again would you buy one?

• Sponsors (?)

As for the 320hp question...the things you listed were all fixed. Ford did a "recall" to fix these issues. Call 1-800-SVT-FORD with the VIN to make sure the 99 Cobra you are looking at had this done.

I haven't had a single problem with my 99 Cobra...well, when it was stock anyway.

As for doing it over again, knowing what I know now, if I had the option I would start with an 03+ Cobra just because it already has a lot of things I had to put money into...like forging the block, putting on a blower, and getting the 6-speed T56 tranny.

But now, I will be keeping my 99 Cobra for a very long time!!!

The problem areas yu mentioned are all fixed in the "performance fix" Call the above number and have them run it. Also, another way to tell if a car has had it is to listen for Flomasters, or look nder the leading edge of the hood near the release for a Ford logo sticker that mentions a PCM reflash.

If you have the money, and are planning on going with a S/C on your 99, I would just rather get an 03 to be honest. But for me- ' 99 was the perfect year and I LOVE my vert!!I didnt have the money for an 03, and I didnt really like the front fascia on them, but I LOVE the 99+ body style. I didnt want an 01 due to the transmission. So, a 99 really was the only choice. I would do it again 100 times over. Its perfect for me and I just love every second with it.

About the only problem you might encounter outside of the normal things ['the fix', reverse grinding, throwout bearing in the clutch] is a funky 'clunk' or 'clang' that comes from the rear end. Alot of guys have this, me included, but its impossible to track down, or fix. Most of us just call it a quirk with IRS and throw our hands up in the air. Live-axle cars dont hear this, just us IRS guys. It doesnt see serious and hasnt been detrimental for me personally, just kinda annoying.

Be sure to take your time and find one in tip-top shape that hasnt been molested. Have fun hunting it down bro- I know the excitement of the chase was part of the fun for me ;) Pre=congrats to you bro! Oh- and GET A VERT!!! hehe!

Thx guys your posts really helped me out a lot. I guess I'll be looking for that 99 Cobra :D . Also has anyone seen those FR500 DOHC heads for the 99 Cobra on Steeda website? Anyone know if those are any good?

If you can swing the extra $, get a '01.

Better seats, rear bumper cover says COBRA, 2 years newer, better stereo, different tranny are the biggest reasons for a '01. Other than that & other small differences the '99 is the same car.

I think the 99 cobra is great, although the tranny is a bitch, I wish I had replaced it with something other than another t45. but I think it is extremely fast, mine has just the bolt ons, and it was faster than all the other ss camaros and transams I drove before. anyone know if pullies will cause any problems with overheating, I noticed my cobra luvs the cold, and hates hot days! ahaha

Snarf said:
About the only problem you might encounter outside of the normal things ['the fix', reverse grinding, throwout bearing in the clutch] is a funky 'clunk' or 'clang' that comes from the rear end. Alot of guys have this, me included, but its impossible to track down, or fix. Most of us just call it a quirk with IRS and throw our hands up in the air. Live-axle cars dont hear this, just us IRS guys. It doesnt see serious and hasnt been detrimental for me personally, just kinda annoying.
QUOTE]

i'm pretty sure i read in mm&ff a couple months ago that the clunking or whatever is caused by wrong sized bolts holding the irs to the frame. i guess some cars got the wrong bolts, and some didn't. hey i could be wrong but it worth looking into.

#1...4.10 or higher gears
#2...Dr. Gas offroad X pipe
#3...March fluid damper, non piggyback underdrive pulleys (new product)
#4...Added timing via chip or Timing adjuster.
#5...Free-flowing intake tube/filter.
This will net you easy 12's