Thinking about going TURBO, talk me out of it?

You're only making 326rwhp running 11psi? You're running stock E7 heads? Thats holding you back big time!

I'm putting down 400rwhp at 10psi with 302 stock bottom end componants (other than balancing), mildly ported GT40 irons and Explorer intake. 1.7 rockers with stock cam.

I would seriously think about getting some better heads if I were you. Those E7's are gonna bottle neck a turbo too.

Get some nice aluminum heads and lose weight too.

This is a good point. Power adder alone does not a stop-light beast, make.

It makes a little more sense where some of the turbo idea might be coming from since you're already aware of the associated headaches. Granted that doing many things is a PITA with a KB sitting on-top too.

• Sponsors (?)

I came in here to say, go turbo and don't look back! However, a few people have made really good points. Why not just upgrade heads and do an intercooler setup on your car?

On the flip side of things. I would buy the 0n3 kit minus the turbo, purchase a better turbo to minimize spool time. Technology has improved greatly, spool time is nearly a thing of the past. Not sure if On3 has a twin kit for the fox, if so that's the road I would take.

I'm all for tinkering, I pretty much mess with everything I own (not only cars), but I usually do it for the better.
It doesn't sound like you want more power, just something to fool around with.

So I think you have to weigh the pro's and cons.
Pros:
More power (which it doesn't really sound like you care about)
Something to tinker with

Cons:
Loss of low end that i'm sure you are used to
It's sure to be a money pit
Likely a Headache
Probably snowball into other issues
Who really knows how much boost a stock headed engine is going to put up with

I just don't see the upside and since you aren't really making this about more power I think you are just asking for trouble.

I'd put the money elsewhere.
Not sure what trans you have now, but i'm more of the belief these days that you do a good trans before you add power.
If that's already done, i'm in the add Heads and a cam camp.

I've been debating this for a little while and now a decent deal has popped up locally for a NIB ON3 70mm complete kit including intercooler. Why should I not switch? I love my combo however I'm a little board with not having something to tinker with and I've always wanted to try this type of forced induction.

Current combo
Stock 302 from oil pan to lower intake
Kenne Bell Flowzilla supercharged at 11psi, non intercooled
Stinger Pimp tuning platform
326rwhp/396rwtq

I would run a similar amount of boost with the turbo but I'd probably gain a bit more HP from being intercooled which will help greatly with IAT's especially during the summer time. I hate the under hood heat that turbo's make and all of the heat shielding and wrapping required to keep it in check. I would upgrade the wastegate and BOV which seems to be a popular choice to do.

Jack stand jokes aside, why not?

I am new to this forum so I don't know if the majority here are naturally aspirated or forced induction fans. So after reading your thread I don't quite understand why you are switching. Leaving out Nitrous its no secret that most of the ford guys (5.0 90%) around here run a positive displacement or centrifugal superchargers on the street. If they happen to do a little outlaw street racing or legal weekend drag strip racing (at Bristol) most run 'Turbosupercharging' or a combo. Things might be different in your part of the world. Lastly, and this is another personal opinion, turbos aren't quite as reliable as a belt driven supercharger. Hey if boredom is really the main reason you are thinking about the change, I have a 2004 Mustang project with a 232 ci 6cyl. Why don't you wrench me turbo with about 16 pounds of boost on it. To be super un-bored I need U to build my little 6 as a dedicated supercharger motor...how about it? (Just kidding!) ~

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Haha I seen that kit on craigslist. And I just noticed you live in the same town as me so that makes sense haha. I personally would keep the KB. Depending on how you drive it I guess is what would make the difference. But for a street car then KB all the way imo.

Reactions: 1 user
Haha I seen that kit on craigslist. And I just noticed you live in the same town as me so that makes sense haha. I personally would keep the KB. Depending on how you drive it I guess is what would make the difference. But for a street car then KB all the way imo.
Hello neighbor! I got excited for a second seeing that you live near me and have a black hatchback. I've spotted a nice one a couple times in North Spokane and have been wanting to run him down to talk to him. I thought it was you but you have a 4eye, this guy has a 87-93 model. We'll have to cruise some time!!

I'm all for tinkering, I pretty much mess with everything I own (not only cars), but I usually do it for the better.
It doesn't sound like you want more power, just something to fool around with.

So I think you have to weigh the pro's and cons.
Pros:
More power (which it doesn't really sound like you care about)
Something to tinker with

Cons:
Loss of low end that i'm sure you are used to
It's sure to be a money pit
Likely a Headache
Probably snowball into other issues
Who really knows how much boost a stock headed engine is going to put up with

I just don't see the upside and since you aren't really making this about more power I think you are just asking for trouble.

I'd put the money elsewhere.
Not sure what trans you have now, but i'm more of the belief these days that you do a good trans before you add power.
If that's already done, i'm in the add Heads and a cam camp.
As always (IMO) you're a voice of reason. Some others have given some good advice too. My motive is completely focused on improving efficiency, tinkering, and trying something new. I do not want more HP, well at least nothing significant anyway. I have been back to 92rhocp's thread and taking notes. I have decided to intercool my KB. While my supercharger is removed for modification I will go ahead and install ARP studs, I've been lucky so far with my original head bolts. I will likely add my ProMeth kit while things are apart. What sucks is that I was planning on using my windshield washer reservoir as my meth tank. My intercooler piping will run through that hole so I'll have to come up with something else.

This is what happens when your car is "done" :(

Reactions: 1 users