Thinking about selling my blower...am I crazy?

astronut1885

Founding Member
Jan 31, 2002
Assonet, MA
Hey guys. I've had a FRPP roots blower and most of the parts to install with it (injectors, MAF, etc...) sitting in my shed for a year. I'm starting to think I might just abandon it. Honestly, I've never been a fan of boost or blowing you car up with it, I've always loved the idea of N/A motors, and I'm not so sure I need all that power around here. I also want to do more appearance upgrades on the car right now. I'm thinking a full bolt-on car would probably more than suit my needs, and eventually I can add cams and heads and still make good street power N/A. I'm also dead-set on getting a shaker setup, and this blower won't allow that. So am I crazy or what?

• Sponsors (?)

So am I crazy or what?

yes, do more go fast....then do appearance.

edit:

oh yeah...and a blower and a shaker does work together. this is a pic from one of the ADMINS from the local club i am in
DSC01250.jpg

Attachments

• DSC01250.jpg
    DSC01250.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 66
Man it's all about what you want. I mean it is sitting there, just like my Vortech in my closet. But if it's not what you want then get rid of it. But have you ever driven a stang with a roots blower on it? Do that then you might not wanna sell it.

My issue with this setup is that it can't be intercooled or aftercooled, only methanol injection can be applied. On top of that, FRPP never made an install kit, so everything is 1 off custom stuff. I don't want a shop scratching their head every time I bring this thing in. The car really isn't ready for a blower yet, I want alot more handling and stiffening work done. On the other hand, some appearance mods would really make me feel better about driving it. I have a very specific image in my head: Roush nose, Shaker hood, Steeda side exhaust with Razzi side skirts to dress them in, CDC rear valences or a V6 bumper (not sure yet), and my current wing/rim setups. I'm more eager to get the shaker than the boost anyway, and my car has more than enough umph as is for my purposes. A full bolt-on, well handled, stiffened, and geared car should be more than enough for a good time.

I also want a MUSCLE car. IMO, SPORTS cars have blowers. No offense to the boost crowd here, and there's nothing wrong with it, but when i hear a blower it goes from 'muscle' to 'sport/exotic' in my mind. I just think the idea of doing it all on the motor is cool.

Unfortunately, the mustang will never be a muscle car in its current state. Muscle cars require, among other things, torquey, large V8 engines. The 4.6L, while being decent in its own right, is by no means a muscle car engine. It will never be able to compete with the SBC, Magnum, or Hemi engines simply due to lack of displacement. The way to make up for the shortage of cubes is boost (especially of the positive-displacement variety).

Although I don't care for your taste in appearance mods I say do what makes you happy with your car. I bought my car with the a procharger already on it and my first project was to remove it...well 6 months later and there is no chance in hell it's coming off. Anyone that knows me knows my history with the 2v NA engine but power can be pretty addicting...just like drag racing. The car had the wheels in my avatar that I hated and I went with 18" Magnum 500 wheels that look like stock. Being that it's a Mach 1 I wanted to keep the nostaglic look to it. Not everyone agrees but I like it. I'll eventually set mine up to be track legal and run on MT DRs so I can drive it anywhere and race...again not everyone agrees with me that's it's the best route but it's what will make me happy.

Bill

I would sell it and save up for a better blower. Trust me the first time you drive a boosted car you will never be able to get enough. I also never really understood the purpose of having a car that looks like it would rip sh** and then be bone stock or near it. Thats the reason my car stayed stock on the looks department and still would be if I didn't have my accident. I figured since the insurance company was paying I might as well upgrade.

Of course thats my opinion and you should do whatever you want.

I'm not ruling out a blower in the future, but I really want the car to look better right now. Also, a full bolt-on and max suspension stang is plenty potent. Add a H/C/I combo to it, and it'll be at minimum able to hang in my neck of the woods. I'm not into drag, either. I've had Mustangs since 16, and I've yet to make a 1/4 mile pass. I do love the auto-x though...and the curvy back roads to work. I'd rather set up something I can take to LimeRock for the weekend.

BTW, what's not tasteful about this?:
RoushMach1.jpg

Only difference for me would be a DSG car, Steeda wing, and Cobra R style exhaust instead of the Roush. I like the dual tip style better.

I'm not ruling out a blower in the future, but I really want the car to look better right now. Also, a full bolt-on and max suspension stang is plenty potent. Add a H/C/I combo to it, and it'll be at minimum able to hang in my neck of the woods. I'm not into drag, either. I've had Mustangs since 16, and I've yet to make a 1/4 mile pass. I do love the auto-x though...and the curvy back roads to work. I'd rather set up something I can take to LimeRock for the weekend.

BTW, what's not tasteful about this?:
RoushMach1.jpg

Only difference for me would be a DSG car, Steeda wing, and Cobra R style exhaust instead of the Roush. I like the dual tip style better.

I really don't care for that front bumper and the spoiler. Also the steeda race wing reminds me of a parkbench spoiler you see on every other civic in town.

Yeah, not to big on the Roush spoiler in the pic, but look at my car domain, I don't think the Steeda wing really looks like one of those giant aluminum rice wings.

:leaving:

Lol, but I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder. Me personally I think it's pretty ugly, you could of bought one of the ones on ebay for 15$ and it would of looked the same. The only difference is it doesn't sit as high. You could remedy that with a sawzaw, though.

:leaving:

Lol, but I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder. Me personally I think it's pretty ugly, you could of bought one of the ones on ebay for 15$ and it would of looked the same. The only difference is it doesn't sit as high. You could remedy that with a sawzaw, though.

+1

I think if you put a 03/04 Cobra Spoiler on your car it would look sick as hell man. :nice: