thinking of fabbing up my own catback

autumn_again

Oct 2, 2007
Hamilton, NJ
so my auto-collision instructor made his own exhaust for his truck, and the mufflers he used sounded pretty damn good, they are flowmaster imitations, they are 25 bucks at summit.

i'm thinking of fabbing up my own custom side exit exhaust with these mufflers.

i'm decent at welding.

i'm thinking of having them exit about 4 inches in front of the rear wheels.

ebay_366.jpg

tips similar to what i would use.

i figure for around 75 bucks i can make the exhaust.

• Sponsors (?)

I say good deal :nice:

Do you have any skirts (SVO?) or are you just going to run the tips out the side?

I'm interested to see/hear how it turns out.

i have stock skirts.

i like the svo skirts, but i dont know if i would like it with the stock gt bumper.

i think it flows much nicer with the cobra bumper.

also the skirts wouldn't last long, i can't drive up my driveway now without hitting on my tail pipes and front bumper.

my teacher has them on his suburban, i'm guessing its a 350.

and it sounds pretty good.

honestly, i just searched for dual exhaust tips in google images haha.
they are good looking tips though.

summit has some similar ones.

i think the ones i linked are on ebay, it said something about ebay in the picture link.

$75????

$50 on mufflers, plus the $10 shipping from Summit... Those tips have to be at least $15-$20 each... So that is another $30-$40 plus piping, and time...

It is going to cost more than $75, BUT it will be wild...

As far as the scraping issue, Tape a soup can under where you would want them to exit and see if that scrapes...

$75????

$50 on mufflers, plus the $10 shipping from Summit... Those tips have to be at least $15-$20 each... So that is another $30-$40 plus piping, and time...

It is going to cost more than $75, BUT it will be wild...

As far as the scraping issue, Tape a soup can under where you would want them to exit and see if that scrapes...

i dont normally use the driveway, and i'll rig something up for when i have to get my car up it with side pipes.

i know i'd scrape with side pipes but not as bad as side skirts.

i'd rip off the skirts.

and what i found was around 50 for the mufflers, and then i found $10 piping on summits site. i wont be buying the tips right away, but they will bring the cost up. the price i gave was without tips.

then shipping. so i figured 75 for the exhaust, not including tips.

I know a guy at an exhaust shop, so I had him fab me some custom sidepipes. I ran single 3" chrome tips.

I ended up with the tips a little too far out I think, but anyway I wrecked them after about a month.. They hang SOO low. You can't put the car on a 2 post lift because the tips are in the way of the lifting points, and they died when I was trying to load it onto my trailer.

I'm back to dumps now. I absolutely loved how it sounded with the sidepipes though, you could literally hear it a mile away.

View attachment 326811

I know a guy at an exhaust shop, so I had him fab me some custom sidepipes. I ran single 3" chrome tips.

I ended up with the tips a little too far out I think, but anyway I wrecked them after about a month.. They hang SOO low. You can't put the car on a 2 post lift because the tips are in the way of the lifting points, and they died when I was trying to load it onto my trailer.

I'm back to dumps now. I absolutely loved how it sounded with the sidepipes though, you could literally hear it a mile away.

View attachment 326798

what other exhaust were you running?

like mufflers, midpipe, and headers.

i'm not lowered at all. so i wont have too much of a problem, and the only lifts i use i've used with cars with side exit exhaust already. they have spacers to stick inbetween the fork and the pad that goes under the car.

your car is amazing looking though :nice: makes me want to repaint my car and get some 03 cobras and take the lift kit off.

at first i wasnt sure how i'd feel about the back bumper being empty, but now that i think about it, it doesn't help my exhaust is extremely small right now, so it looks kinda empty.