Thinking of Switching Intakes but is it worth it?

Venom351R

Founding Member
Apr 27, 2002
MAINE
I have a 351W (95 R Motor). A recent trip to the track revealed a MPH time of 104.33 and a dyno pull of 340/390 ( done down in FL I have not had the car dynoed up here yet, and its not tunned)

I was expecting my MPH to be higher in the 1/4 then it was (considering I pulled 108 MPH on the 1/4 with my GT that was putting down 340 at the wheels as well) so I was thinking that maybe its due to the fact that the intake is running out of steam in the higher RPM's. Its a Cobra intake (on a 351) it is honed & Extruded on the upper but the lower is still stock. I was thinking of going with a Trick Flow intake but am undecided on the Track heat http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Tric...011QQitemZ320122716144QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V
or going all out on the R series Trick Flow http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Tric...011QQitemZ320118236859QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

or if this swap over is not worth it $$ wise and HP wise or maybe just porting out the lower. Ideas..suggestions...thoughts...??

• Sponsors (?)

If you have the dough, I'd definitely swap the intake.

I think going with a trackheat would retain some low-end torque....

but....

of course that doesn't matter all too much with a 351 now does it? lol

I say go with the R intake

I f you wanna keep the stock cobra one, then I would get a port job on the lower. That's the big restriction in our intakes and I would imagine the same is true for a 351 version.

Porting the lower is always an option (and the cheapest) but only if it will yield the same results of a track heat or the R. I know there are other intakes out there such as the Victors and the Holly's but the black TF just looks awesome IMO

Come on man, Get some AFR 205's on there, with a nice Victor Jr, powdercoat it black if that's what you like, and get a custom stick in there.... REmember to keep all your stock pieces, that way you can put it back to stock if needed. Since it's just the drivetrain I doubt your going to be putting it back to stock, especially if your going to drive the h*ll out of it.
Now if your trying to retain the stock valvetrain, look into the RPMII or holly systemax, and just get them powdercoated. I'm not a fan of the trickflow intakes, but they will work just as well.

Ok just read your sig, scratch everything I just said accept for the victor Jr, and custom stick.

They don't make a trickflow street/track intake for 351's nor is there a 351 holley manifold.

Provided the cam will work with the R intake and the car is geared properly, i'd swap. If not, keep the cobra.

The fact that you have a Cobra R drivetrain would make me want to just port the lower to keep the "stock" look.

Believe me Id like to keep the stock look b/c of the 5.8L Plaque on the top of the cobra but when it comes to more power...well we all know that argument.

They don't make a trickflow street/track intake for 351's nor is there a 351 holley manifold.

Provided the cam will work with the R intake and the car is geared properly, i'd swap. If not, keep the cobra.

The Street/Track heat will both work on either a 302 or 351, the R series intake is made more for the 351 just b/c of its increased air flow which would prob be overkill on a 302 thats why they specify it more for the 351 but the Track and street heat intakes will work on either. The biggest difference between a 302 and a 351 is the 351 has a longer stroke but many of the 5.0/5.8 parts are interchangeable. I could take the 185 AFR's and slap them on a 302 if I wanted.

The Street/Track heat will both work on either a 302 or 351, the R series intake is made more for the 351 just b/c of its increased air flow which would prob be overkill on a 302 thats why they specify it more for the 351 but the Track and street heat intakes will work on either. The biggest difference between a 302 and a 351 is the 351 has a longer stroke but many of the 5.0/5.8 parts are interchangeable. I could take the 185 AFR's and slap them on a 302 if I wanted.

VERY incorrect. I will say this one more time, they do NOT make a trickflow street/track heat for a 351 based motor!

The R is NOT "made more for a 351". I run one on my 347 ;)

Do some homework, then come back to me.

White94, 351 blocks are wider so a 302 lower intake won't fit. There isn't as big a selection for 351 intakes as there are 302 based.

Well here's why I am a little confused, We put a edel performer on my old school 351 lightning, the only thing I had to modify was the TB cables, kickdown cable and intake tract. Otherwise it fit fine??? This has me very confused now, if the 351 is wider it shouldnt have fit or worked properly? When It was sold it ran like a champ, and this was a year or so after we swapped intakes??? I'm entirely too confused now... Now i'm second guessing how we put it on....

VERY incorrect. I will say this one more time, they do NOT make a trickflow street/track heat for a 351 based motor!

The R is NOT "made more for a 351". I run one on my 347 ;)

Do some homework, then come back to me.

White94, 351 blocks are wider so a 302 lower intake won't fit. There isn't as big a selection for 351 intakes as there are 302 based.

Ok well here's the answer to that question.... Hopefully it will clear up all confusion. Good call GRN92lx.

"There is also the 351 Windsor engine, which is essentially the same design as a the smaller motors, although it does feature a raised deck height to accomodate the longer stroke, so it uses a different (wider) intake manifold.
Valve covers, valvetrain components, and many other parts interchange between the 351 and 302 small blocks, but blocks and manifolds are unique."

Ok well here's the answer to that question.... Hopefully it will clear up all confusion. Good call GRN92lx.

"Valve covers, valvetrain components, and many other parts interchange between the 351 and 302 small blocks, but blocks and manifolds are unique."

Thats what I was trying to say for the most part, meaning some parts are interchangeable but not all.

if the car made 340/390 you should be going faster. i trap 104 on motor with alot less power. i doubt the intake has anything to do with it.

so if its not running out of steam up top then what else would cause my lower MPH? It was pretty humid that day but I didnt think it would have effected the car to this extent.

302 parts get 302 results.

I vote Victor EFI, retard your cam a couple degrees, and gear that summabitch up. You'll be haulin in no time!! Also, what tune are you running?

Adam

The car is not tunned right now. I was running 3.55's when I ran the 104 in my GT, the Cobra has 3.27's in it now