Third Brake Light Won't Fit Back In?

Nick388

Apr 29, 2011
Hey guys,

Long time stalker and figured I'd finally sign up! I have a pretty basic question that I couldn't seem to find the answer to anywhere.

I recently got tired of being the victim of an old, worn out looking third brake light so I took it out to stand it down and make it look better. Did all that without a problem (or so I thought) but for the life of me I can NOT get it to seat correctly. I honestly can not figure out why, but the right side (if you're looking at the light) will not sit down flat while bolted. It's bad enough that when taking the light out, the mounting screw came OUT of the brake light when I was twisting the bolt/nut off (that was fun figuring out wtf was going on, lol) but I'm not sure if that's the issue or not. I can get it to sit fine for the most part, but I can't bolt it back up without the right side lifting. No matter what I do, the right side lifts back up. I tried bolting the right side back on first and leaning the left side up a bit, but as I tighten the bolt back up, it unseats itself :mad:. I sat the light down on even pavement and there's no play if I push on one side or another, so I'm assuming I didn't warp/bend the light by sanding it (did it by hand). The light sat fine before removal.

Anyone else run into this problem? It's an 03 GT, so there's nothing irregular done to the trunk/light area, besides that right side mount coming out of the back of the actual brake light. I'd rather not buy a new one since I just did the work on this, I don't like the LED look, and I can't find a stocker anywhere.

• Sponsors (?)