Thirty Years Later...

Ten years ago, I bought a Pontiac Grand Am from my wife’s grandmother. Nice little car; four-banger, A/T, A/C, decent sound system, 30 mpg. Y’know; boring! ‘Bought with 78,000 miles on the clock, now showing over 178,000. Her grandmother passed away a few years ago, but her grandfather is far from finished (he just turned 96). A couple of years ago, he bought a slightly used ’01 Mustang GT. His only complaint was that it has an auto tranny (he likes stick-shifts; me too).
Fast forward to the middle of April. A little pickup slides into the in-law’s driveway, and Grandpa jumps out. My wife asks “Are you test driving a new truck?” I tell her “Look at the sticker in the rear window. He just bought it!” He sides up to me and asks if I can help him sell the Mustang online “Sure! We can get a few pictures after you get it washed. Get me all the details, and we’ll get it posted.” My wife turns to me, and says “Why don’t you buy it?” Somehow, that never entered my mind. What a great idea! So I did! Keep in mind that this is the same woman who told me to go get my Norton Commando after a family friend had owned it for 25 years (that’s another story altogether).
So, here we are, the proud owner of a sixteen-year-old, 53,000 mile beauty. Yes, fifty-three-thousand miles! What makes this even more special is that my wife and I both had ’66 notchbacks when we first met. And, yes; we both regret selling those two cars.

As mentioned before, it’s a 2001 GT, plus:
4.6 SOHC
3.27 limited-slip rear
Mach sound system
AODE
Pretty much power everything

First order of business is to pull the spark plugs (hopefully) before they become permanently attached to the heads. Grandpa was always good about oil changes and the like, so no worries there (currently running synthetic).
As the car will primarily be a daily driver (when I’m not riding the Norton), mods will be kept to a minimum, but I have looked into something different for the stock paper air filter and throttle butterfly and exhaust system and headers and SOMEBODY STOP ME!!!
a613daad-0d51-4010-aa99-e71367025c7c_zpsdmir4mfn.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Welcome to Stangnet.

Pretty car. We wouldn't stop you from modifying your mustang for the life in us. Fact is, your going to get a lot of ideas you hadn't had before I bet.

In a couple months right after you've welded on a set of subframe connectors, put on a set of Koni's and are trying to decide if you should buy that set of drag radials, you should come back and reread your initial post just to give yourself a chuckle.

Snoop around our '96-'04 subforums. You'll find lots of information there and a good group of gearheads that'll be glad to have you with them and be willing to help you out with your new to be obsession.

Good to have you with us.

Reactions: 1 user
Welcome to Stangnet! That is one gorgeous 01 GT very clean. Do you have any plans for mods?
Thanks! As for mods, it's hard to say at this point. Initially, I'll keep it to low-key bolt-ons. It's hard for me to open an engine when it's in such good condition. That, and I want to maintain its great driving characteristics, as we'll use it for the occasional long trip. You never know; common sense will most likely give way to the desire for quicker quarter-mile times...

Nathan

Reactions: 1 user
Um, well; things have changed... From the moment Grandpa sold us his '01, he's regularly mentioned how much he misses the car. I made it plain that we still considered it his car, and he is welcome to it, as long as I can make arrangements for my daily transportation (selfish of me, I know). So, this Spring, what should Grandpa show up in at our house but a brand-new '18 Mustang, sporting the 2.3 litre EcoBoost with a stick-shift.
Fast-forward to August. Grandpa has been complaining about his right shoulder paining him, and wonders if the stick-shift is aggravating the condition. He wants to swap cars for a week to see if the auto would help relieve his pain. So, after the week, he's convinced it does, but we're pretty sure he's just missing the '01. As my wife noted when he first pulled out of the driveway, "At least it sounds like it has a real engine in it!" Yep, nothing sounds like a V-8!
Well, push comes to shove, and he wants the '01 back, and is more than happy to merely swap cars! I'm not. As you can imagine, there are certain family members that could get really butt-hurt over something as seemingly loop-sided as this trade, and it just doesn't feel right to me. Grandpa insists that that's already been addressed, and that I shouldn't worry about what the rest of the family thinks. 'Hard to argue with that! So, I now find myself jumping ship over to the S550 forum. I'll miss y'all!
S550.jpg

Reactions: 1 users