This fell out of my motor what is it?

NewToFord

Oct 7, 2008
CT
I have a motor that ran that I am taking pieces off and using them on a used shortblock that I bought. This piece fell out of the front cover or out of the oil pan. Any idea what it is and do I need it on my new motor? It is very small and round and has some kind of filter thing on it.

• Sponsors (?)

Year or engine would be helpful. Modular or pushrod? Doesnt look to be anything out of a pushrod ford. Like you said it has a filter on it so its for a liquid. Its in the motor so its either coolant or oil. You stated it was either timing cover or pan, so id lean more towrds oil. Go on autozone or whoever you like and look up parts in that catagory for the engine you are dealing with.

Thats about as simple as I could make it with the info givin. Hope it helps ;)

well I looked at it again today. its is covered in oil. It is not the oil sensor. I looked those up on Late model resto's site and they look nothing like it. It is a 5.0 motor and I am unsure about the year. If it is a coolant or pcv thing where do those go? I can check and see if it is missing. I guess it is nothing important that I need for my good motor.

PCV goes in the back of the intake. It would be covered in oil, but there is physically no way it can get to the oil pan. it can only go as far as the lifter valley and you would have to hit the fugger with a punch to even push it through the intake.

Coolant restrictor is the little thing at roughly the center of the pic. Wish I had a better pic for you but the part pictured in the first post is definitely NOT the coolant restrictor.

The restictor is just a little piece of metal with a whole drilled in it.

restrict.jpg

I wonder if that is some sort of oil passage regulator or something? No real idea.