Thoughts On Parting Out My 89 Hatch

sal5.0

Jul 14, 2007
So I've been contemplating parting out my 89 LX Hatch. Car is 9 out of 10, both interior and exterior. 49k original miles. Every bolt on, supercharged, Meth injected, super clean interior, suspension upgrades like control arms, torque box reinforcements, subframe connectors, etc. Car makes 450rwhp. Full Mac exhaust. I'm thinking about selling the entire car in pieces, right down to the wiring harness, etc. What do you guys think? Am I an idiot? I've been working on foxes for 20 years so I know these cars in and out. Just want different views from other Fox guys. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMAG0688.jpg
    IMAG0688.jpg
    856.1 KB · Views: 162
  • IMAG0643-20171021-00262023.jpg
    IMAG0643-20171021-00262023.jpg
    800 KB · Views: 142
  • IMAG0650.jpg
    IMAG0650.jpg
    507.5 KB · Views: 147
  • IMAG0661.jpg
    IMAG0661.jpg
    631.6 KB · Views: 144
  • IMAG0656.jpg
    IMAG0656.jpg
    893 KB · Views: 158
  • IMAG0665.jpg
    IMAG0665.jpg
    595.2 KB · Views: 152
  • IMAG0658-20171021-003010316.jpg
    IMAG0658-20171021-003010316.jpg
    560.2 KB · Views: 138
  • Sponsors (?)

I don't think youd make much more just selling the car as is. If anything pull the blower off and some other various mods and sell it as a clean stocker and sell the mods.

I've parted out a few junk foxes and once you get rid of the main components (engine, trans, rear, interior) the other stuff tends to move slowly in the local classifieds and eBay

Reactions: 1 users
Do you seriously think you're going to get a lot of Fox enthusiasts suggesting that parting out an excellent car and sending the rest to scrap is a good idea?

Sell the blower separately and sell the car whole.

Reactions: 5 users
Do you seriously think you're going to get a lot of Fox enthusiasts suggesting that parting out an excellent car and sending the rest to scrap is a good idea?

Sell the blower separately and sell the car whole.

I wouldn't scrap anything, the body is perfect. No rust, straight. Possibly sell all the mods, then sell as a roller for the right price.

Just my two cents but I would put the car up forsale as it sits now once the warm season starts peeking and let it sit until you get something close to what you think it's worth.

Piecing it out you may make some quick money but once the nice money parts go you'll be sitting with allot of other small junk and it'll get frustrating trying to deal with people and there questions, no shows etc.

The supercharger well, it looks like a Paxton sn-93 whcih if it is won't pull much money at all. It's old, inefficient, ball driven and used. It's not going to be too appealing considering you could get a A trim or S trim for round the thou mark and they both even the v1 will crush the sn head in all categories.

Pull out any bigger priced items and sell seperately...then sell a clean nice running low mileage fox and youll prob make about the same or more than parting it all out...as its been stated...once you sell the most wanted parts....it could take a looong time to sell the other bits...

What do you think the blower is worth? Blower, tubes, brackets, pulleys... The the unit as a whole.
I had a old Paxton SN93 set-up years ago and although it only produced 4-5lbs. of boost that thing was bullet proof!
Looks like you have the dipstick cooler for it as well.
I would imagine unless you find someone that has to have the nostalgic look of a Paxton Sn series
your probably looking at $700-$1000 for the whole bolt on set-up.

Oh yeah...don't tear that car apart you'll end up sitting on a bunch of small parts and spending countless hours advertising.
If that car is a 9 out of 10 you should have no problem selling it

Reactions: 1 user
I had a old Paxton SN93 set-up years ago and although it only produced 4-5lbs. of boost that thing was bullet proof!
Looks like you have the dipstick cooler for it as well.
I would imagine unless you find someone that has to have the nostalgic look of a Paxton Sn series
your probably looking at $700-$1000 for the whole bolt on set-up.

This SN93 actually makes a steady 9lbs. I just had the car tuned in June. I rebuilt the entire unit, bearings, seals, balls, impeller, etc. Yea, I have the cooler as well, which I think is a must with these units... They get hot!

Sell the whole car complete.

You'd be an idiot to part that car out....

Sell the whole dang thing....or give it to me for safe keeping.

Reactions: 1 user
@Noobz347 holds the keys here, but I'd have pulled this from this forum because it's pretty much exactly a "what its worth" thread which is too close in relation to a for sale ad and very easily abused. See the terms of service. This question can be asked and answered in the for sale forums where people who actually are in the market for this kind of stuff can more properly address your question. But yeah, my take is I just wouldn't rip that work of art apart. It's too beautiful a car, even though I rarely feel that way. Beautiful from interior to exterior. Super build on that motor. It should make the next guy very happy, and in a competitive forum, I think it'll command a premium. -Chris

BTW, I'm really not sure if I like the old grey interiors or the black interiors more. The greys changed in '90, I think, into a lighter grey -- as in my car -- that just feels cheaper to me.