Throttle Body spacers?

mhanksii

Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
Does anyone have a TB spacer? I am very skeptical about these products, however I will say that in a very different application on my 71 351C engine I did pick up some seat of the pants pull down low and mid range power. But that was a carburetor and a much larger engine. So an and all opinions and reviews (I hope more reviews and maybe a Dyno sheet?) are welcome. This would be a great power for the dollar mod if it does indeed make any.

• Sponsors (?)

No, don't get one. If you want mid 12's with your car, do this............ Hand tuner, axle back exhaust, underdrive pullies, QA1 rear shocks, 4.30 gears, MickeyThompson E/T Street tires. MM&FF magazine did these mods to an '05 manual shift car in the April 2005 issue and did 12.45. That's without a CAI, headers, or anything other than what is listed.

Maybe

but if you add it up, dollar for dollar on mods, why wouldn't you do such a simple mod if it delivers extra hp anywhere? I would put the gay stickers on my car if it really made it as fast as the ricers say they do.:rlaugh:

mhanksii said:
but if you add it up, dollar for dollar on mods, why wouldn't you do such a simple mod if it delivers extra hp anywhere? I would put the gay stickers on my car if it really made it as fast as the ricers say they do.:rlaugh:
Well at least the gay stickers wouldn't have cost you anything, so you wouldn't lose anything to begin with, and even then..it would all depend on just how much additional power those stickers would provide, before I'd ever even consider putting something like that on my car..However, if you feel spending anywhere between $200.00-$300.00 is worth just the additional 2 or maybe 3 HP. in the lower to mid torque range, then its you're money and you're car..Personally if you add up dollar for dollar on mods, as you stated.. That $200.00-$300.00 you just spent on a TB spacer, could have been used for either UD pulleys, equal length shorty headers, a Meziere electric water pump or an axle back exhaust, in which each would provide at least, an additional 10-12 HP. gain, if not more.. So you do the math and figure it out.. Just food for thought, I suppose :shrug:

TB Spacers don't cost $200-$300 though, they only run $55-$80. So dollar per horse it would fall right in line with just about every other mod out there. I agree if it was over 100 then there had better be at least 5hp grantee to make it worth the money/time to make it worth while! I'm not trying to offend anyone just think at $75 even 2-3 hp is worth the time to install it. I also love torque so anything that boosts it instead of dropping it is a huge plus in my book.

On a side note, axle backs are worth 10hp? I though everyone was dynoing them for no gain? I don't know much about them yet but exhaust is on my list of next mods so any help is great!:nice: :SNSign:

mhanksii said:
TB Spacers don't cost $200-$300 though, they only run $55-$80. So dollar per horse it would fall right in line with just about every other mod out there. I agree if it was over 100 then there had better be at least 5hp grantee to make it worth the money/time to make it worth while! I'm not trying to offend anyone just think at $75 even 2-3 hp is worth the time to install it. I also love torque so anything that boosts it instead of dropping it is a huge plus in my book.

On a side note, axle backs are worth 10hp? I though everyone was dynoing them for no gain? I don't know much about them yet but exhaust is on my list of next mods so any help is great!:nice: :SNSign:
I just looked up Jetchips website and they list their TB spacers for $129.99 which in my opinion, still isn't worth the money for just an additional 2-3 HP. As for the ones you saw listed between $55-$80 if you're referring to Motoblue, or any of the other cheaper manufactuers..I would take extreme caution, before purchasing their TB spacers, in fact there have been several complaints, about Motoblue spacers causing turbulance and other related performance problems..And besides, that 2 or maybe 3 HP boost. is something you're not going to even notice or feel anyhow, so let's just say that even at $75.00.. its still considered a waste of my hard earned money anyway, therefore I just don't see any of the huge pluses or bonuses, you're referring to..As for you're side note on axle back exhausts, I believe that I previously stated, they were good for between 10-12 HP.

MOST axlebacks have limited performance gains. the stock mufflers are not a big restriction, and flow well. MM&FF did a test last year of several manufacturers with little gains for all. some manufacturers were not in that comparision, and claim big gains. have you seen anyone dyno just mufflers with big gains?

bigcat said:
MOST axlebacks have limited performance gains. the stock mufflers are not a big restriction, and flow well. MM&FF did a test last year of several manufacturers with little gains for all. some manufacturers were not in that comparision, and claim big gains. have you seen anyone dyno just mufflers with big gains?
Nope, and until I do see actual proof of big gains..To me, not even a 10-12 HP gain. would justify the expense of purchasing an axle back exhaust..I was only trying to point out to another member, that I would much rather spend my hard earned money on something that would provide. at least a 10-12 HP gain, before spending it on a TB spacer that may only provide 2 or maybe a 3 HP gain, if you're lucky.. and although jetchips and others may claim an 8-10 HP gain, of course their going to say that for marketing purposes, as far as actual gains are concerned..I would have to see real proof on a dyno, before I'd even consider it..And you're right, the stock mufflers are not a big enough restriction, and flow well enough, to where its really not necessary to replace them..and I have no intentions of getting rid of them, to me..there just fine, as a daily driver..:D

Stop the hate!

All I was saying is if they make 2-3hp the dollar/hp figure would be in line with just about all the other mods. Thank you for the heads up on the moto blue piece, because yes that was the one I was looking at. Does that poor quality extend through all there products or just that TB Spacer, because I was also thinking about there under drive pulleys?

Thanks for all the help and advice guys!

mhanksii said:
All I was saying is if they make 2-3hp the dollar/hp figure would be in line with just about all the other mods. Thank you for the heads up on the moto blue piece, because yes that was the one I was looking at. Does that poor quality extend through all there products or just that TB Spacer, because I was also thinking about there under drive pulleys?

Thanks for all the help and advice guys!
Well as I previously stated, its you're money..And all I've been trying to point out to you is..if you're not going to feel or notice, that 2-3 HP. boost, then what is the point ?? all you're really doing is throwing you're hard earned money down the drain, that could be used towards other mods, that would really make a difference..So again, I don't see how you can claim, you're dollar/hp. figure would be in line, with all the other mods..if that were really accurate.. Don't you think there would be other members in this forum, who would recommend installing TB spacers ?? Think about that..As for the rest of Motoblue's products..I can't really say one way or the other, but I can tell you this...if you intend on installing UD Pulleys..only go with either Steeda or Roush, because only their pulleys have the same or simular harmonic balancer specs, as stock, if not better..On the other hand, if you install an UD pulley, from some other co. and their harmonic balancer's happen to be lighter in weight, compared to stock..you may end up causing serious damage, to you're engine...The bottom line is this, you asked you're fellow members for their recommendations and advice, and in my honest opinion, we as members, have done our very best, in doing just that..

I have the JET TB spacer and I love it. It definitely gets rid of the throttle body lag.

A friend of mine had it on the dyno and it only provide an extra 4-5 HP but he did manage to get an increase in torque of about 10 FT-lbs.

All in all, I'd say it was a very good investment.

odiaz said:
I have the JET TB spacer and I love it. It definitely gets rid of the throttle body lag.

A friend of mine had it on the dyno and it only provide an extra 4-5 HP but he did manage to get an increase in torque of about 10 FT-lbs.

All in all, I'd say it was a very good investment.
You're friend must be an exception to the rule, because usually its the SCT XCAL II or Diablosport preadator tunes, that get rid of throttle body lag. And if you ask any of the big 3 tuners out there, the only true way to get rid of throttle body lag, is though a tuner/programmer. So I would ask you're friend if he's certain, as to whether it's the TB spacer or the tuner, that's responsible for getting rid of his throttle body lag. because I just cannot see how just a spacer alone, which you can buy through RPM outlet for $85.00 be able to provide 4-5HP. and get rid of throttle body lag. It just doesn't make any logical sense at all..:shrug: