Throttle Cable Too Long

sen2two

I've been lubing and pulling it all morning
Jul 18, 2013
After installing my Systemax intake and Holley TB, the throttle cable is way too long. Now it binds up very badly making driving next to impossible.

It presses up against the intake and then the firewall causing the issue. I don't really see a way to shorten the cable because of the steel liner the actual cable slides in.

Has anyone here had this issue and solved it? I need it to be shorter by at least 2-3 inches.

I can't order anything because I need the car driving Monday morning for work...

• Sponsors (?)

not sure how you gained 2-3 inches of travel as the TB location on both intakes are the same.. Did you remove the EGR spacer? To gain some clearance, simply route the cable downward towards the trans tunnel if possible. .
Pics would help us determine what the issue is.

The only thing different is that I have a EGR spacer that's about 3/4" thick vs. the stock one.

I think it may be because their is almost zero space between the valve cover and upper intake. I believe the cable use to go through here but no longer fits.

Few pics of where it binds...

Attachments

• 20161126_115040.jpg
    20161126_115040.jpg
    712.4 KB · Views: 242
  • 20161126_115008.jpg
    20161126_115008.jpg
    457.2 KB · Views: 239
  • 20161126_114945.jpg
    20161126_114945.jpg
    493.9 KB · Views: 238
Right now my idea is to remove the upper and slightly remove enough material on both the valve over and lower side of the upper intake f9r the throttle cable to once again fit though this area. It wouldn't be visible at all which is a plus. But it's a last resort. Shortening the cable if possible seems like a better way to go...

Uh I have the exact same setup .

Just straighten the cable out and get it under that harness and stuff .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
I don't see the problem. That cable would move just as freely bent in the "S" shape that it's in, or in a straight line.

It's a teflon lined steel cable sliding in a steel coil overwrap covered in rubber. The only reason it should be hanging is because there is some kink at the linkage, or that inner cable is frayed and hanging somehow....otherwise you could coil that thing into a complete 360 and it would still move freely.

Reactions: 1 user
I have the same intake on my car and noticed the same thing at first I just moved my cable around a little and no more problems I am also running the egr delete I only have a 3/8 spacer

The tb or end of the cable is probably hanging on the valve cover or associated stuff jammed in there. I had that problem and had to move a harness.