Throttle Position Sensor

I put on a new Throttle body on my car this weekend and when it came time to take off the TPS it wouldnt come off the old throttle body and I gave it a little more force and it came it.....broken though. everything on the inside of it fell out and seemed unrepairable. When I tried turning on my car it wouldnt turn on unless i had the gas pedal slightly pressed but as soon as I let go of the gas it turned off, i fixed the problem by putting a nut on one of the screws the TB spring lever rests on to keep the TB slightly open. My Service engine soon light is on but my car isnt giving me any problems, I actually notice it performing better and I get better mileage than usual because I also installed a K&N, having said all this my question is this, what are the consequences if any if I keep on driving my car like this, ive already driven it around 700 miles since this weekend because I traveled from Arizona back to base in California and no signs of failure have happened. I ordered one online but i have to drive back to AZ to get it because its been shipped there, will it be a bad Idea to drive the car the distance again?

• Sponsors (?)

Nope, not a bad idea. When you removed the TPS, did you also remove that screw on the center of the throttle plate? If not, then that would explain why you broke it. I'm pretty sure that screw holds a stem on the end of the TPS. I believe it enables the TPS to adjust while the plate turns.

You have to depress the pedal slightly due to the TPS not sending a signal. Therefore, the engine is currently adjusting air/fuel parameters via the MAF sensor. The MAF and TPS work together. It may seem like you are getting better fuel economy and that it has a little more power. It may be, but then again, it may be just a slight difference in delay. It's probably dumping in more fuel due to the missing TPS and increased airflow. It is also probably leaning it out a little during freeway driving since the throttle is at a constant airflow.

I have ran my engine this on several occasions...on purpose. There is a delay if you mash the throttle at a stoplight or out of a turn. It has bogged down a couple times simply because no info about TP was being sent. It wont hurt, but I would still use the TPS just as back up, and also just in case you have emmisions testing.

thanks, I have peace of mind now knowing that it didnt cause any harm, I have a new TPS installed so its taken care of, i did drive 800 plus miles without it though. but now bigger problems have risen...ill post a thread on that...I appreciate all the help ive been getting with this forum and the founder and its members...Thanks to all.