throttle problems and shuts off at idle when hot???

carlton88444

Mar 1, 2010
i have a 1966 mustang with a later model 302 4 barrel carb. ever since i got it it has had problems with what i would like to think is overheating but im not sure.
When the car gets between around 200 to 230 degrees it starts to lose power, it makes a weird sound when i push the throttle too much, kind of like a stuttering sound and it wont accelerate until i press the gas very little at a time, the engine will also shut off at an idle. this all happens after around 20 to 30 minutes of driving or after a second trip shortly after the first and it will be undrivable until it cools for atleast a few hours.

Ive replaced the radiator, new 3 row 66 radiator, thermostat even taking it out for a while problem still occured, ignition coil, carburetor, intake manifold, fan blade, fan shroud(helped a little but only extended the time before the problem occured), alternator, starter, plugs, gas tank, filters, everything: the problem existed before all of these and is still occuring.

the main thing thats puzzling me is that from what ive heard 302 run hot around 210 to 220 so im curious as to why mine wont function at that temperature.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as ive been struggling with this problem since i bought this car and well im 16 years old so its my daily driver.

Thanks!!!

• Sponsors (?)

Possibly a timing issue? Too far retarded or advanced can cause heat related issues. You can't necessarily depend on the timing marks on the crank damper as it is not unusual for the outer ring of the damper to shift/spin on the inner making the marks no longer accurate. One way to check is to find Top Dead Center of #1 cylinder. Do this easily by removing all spark plugs (to make easy to turn engine by hand), place a socket and ratchet on the bolt that holds the front damper to the crankshaft, put a small stick, straw, or screwdriver into the #1 (passenger side front) spark plug hole and turn the crankshaft clockwise until you feel that the piston has reached the top of it's travel and then turn the crank back and forth in decreasing amounts until you determine the exact top of travel. The put a mark on the damper at the pointer, this will be very close to your Top Dead Center. Then check your timing as per normal.
HTH,
Gene

The gas is boiling out of the carb OR is boiling in the fuel lines. Make sure the fuel lines don't touch the motor or get near the exhaust system anywhere. Put an insulating spacer between the carb and intake - the thicker the better. Aluminum is not an insulator.