Thunderbird Rear End on a 1968 Mustang

phosphene

Aug 3, 2021
Thailand
Hi guys,
I'm currently restoring a 1968 Mustang Coupe. It was originally a 6 cylinder and I'm converting it to a V8 and basically everything has to be changed. The only engine I could find is a 351W, C4 Transmission, and a rear end from a 1973 Thunderbird.

First of all I'm in Thailand, there aren't alot of choices here for American car parts so they are not cheap, import taxes are expensive, and existing parts are super rare!!

Anyways... The rear end I found is a 9 inch from a 73-74 Thunderbird. From what I read so far on my Google searches, this rear end is actually 9 3/8 big and I was wondering if it will fit my 1968 Mustang and if any of the components inside are different/compatible with the regulate 9 inch for overhaul?

• Sponsors (?)

Everything will fit except the rear axle
It too will fit but the 9 inch rear end will be too wide and have the wrong spring perches
Go for it
Narrow it and weld new perches for your leaf springs
Doable

Reactions: 1 users
In Thailand if he sheet cans the 9 3/8 rear axle someone else will just use it
I agree if he narrows it to fit his application it may not be worth the cost
But in Thailand he can probably get the oddball 9 narrowed cheap

I agree with Jim above, gear ratio, width and weight are all negatives, find an 8" or 9" from a 67-73 mustang, fairlane, falcon torino including wagons.
You may find a truck 9" that would be worth the work narrowing the tubes and axles .
Are there many machine shops around?
Any clubs that have American cars ??