Ticking noise that increases with RPM + Running to hot

94pony

Jul 6, 2003
Arlington, Tx
I have noticed a little ticking noise in or around my drivers side head. Any ideas?

Also my car has been warming up and not stopping. Replaced the whole cooling system, timing, compression check, leak test, tune-up......

So now I just figured I would go in and take a look at the condition of my heads and replace the head gaskets while in there.

Any ideas guys?
Thanks in advance.....:SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

No, but it can be the ticking noise you here, and most likely is the culprit. What kind of cats r on the car?

No cats here sir. I did not have a chance to pull the head off today due to the rain but will try tonight, I am thinking a bad lifter or cracked head.

With the intake and valve covers off I hear a water bubbling noise coming from my drivers side head when I turn my crank clockwise......:(

Not sure about running hot, like are you actually overheating? But regarding ticking noise, a common cause of ticking can be a header/exhaust leak, which really amplifies the valve train noise and can cause a noticable ticking, also transmission throw-out bearings can really cause a ticking noise.

Not sure about running hot, like are you actually overheating? But regarding ticking noise, a common cause of ticking can be a header/exhaust leak, which really amplifies the valve train noise and can cause a noticable ticking, also transmission throw-out bearings can really cause a ticking noise.

It just warms up like normal but dont stop:shrug:
I like you ideas about the ticking noise good point.
Unfortunately in my case today i noticed with my intake off and valve covers that I hear a water bubbling sound coming from the back of my drivers side head while i am turning my crank. :(

Well I can tell you this much if a header exhaust leak can cause that noise then you were right on the money....

But would a real bad exhaust leak at your header cause your can to overheat?

I think the ticking and overheating could possibly be two different issues, but not really sure. The header exhaust leak definietely makes a very audible ticking noise. About the overheating, is there lots of fluid in your rad? Have you changed your thermostat lately? Any noticeable leaks anywhere, fluids on the driveway or in the garage? Have you flushed your rad lately? Do you have an electric or clutch fan? Is your fan working? Do you over heat every time, or is it just sometimes, like if you start up your car and just let it sit, will it maintain a proper temp, or does the temp eventually just skyrocket causing it to overheat right away? I wonder if your thermostat is stuck closed?

I think the ticking and overheating could possibly be two different issues, but not really sure. The header exhaust leak definietely makes a very audible ticking noise. About the overheating, is there lots of fluid in your rad? Have you changed your thermostat lately? Any noticeable leaks anywhere, fluids on the driveway or in the garage? Have you flushed your rad lately? Do you have an electric or clutch fan? Is your fan working? Do you over heat every time, or is it just sometimes, like if you start up your car and just let it sit, will it maintain a proper temp, or does the temp eventually just skyrocket causing it to overheat right away? I wonder if your thermostat is stuck closed?

I have replaced and checked the whole nine yards. The cooling system was full, I gave it around thirty min to bleed with engine running and cap off. By then is was not running hot and bet it wouldn't if my ac was not on, but if i was driving with the ac on or off for sure its going to. Rad is brand new and have done several motor flushes in the last month. I have a electric fan and its working, from the moment I start the car I have the AC on so the high fan stays on. It overheats everytime I drive it. I have changed and tested the themostat three time in the last month and bought a balanced 180 degree.

As it sits not I have the intake and heads off seeing what I can find but no luck. head gaskets show no sign of a leak pistons and heads look like they are in great shape. :shrug:

Have you taken the headers off, any signs of leaks there? Regarding the ticking noise. I would be willing to bet if there is signs of leakage on the header gaskets, that could possibly be your ticking problem. Unless it's a throwout bearing, which has a similar noise, accelerating with the ticking getting louder and increasing with rpm and load.

I'm kinda puzzled regarding the overheating because I don't think a header gasket leak would cause overheating. But it could be two totally different problems.

Your gauge is probably working okay too right...

Only thing I can think of is a bad water pump?? If it's really bad and the water pump fan broke off or something, and its not circulating. So you said when you had it running without topping it up, you weren't loosing fluid were you? Like lower intake gasket leak, where fluid get's in the oil, is your oil milky at all? If your pretty sure there is no internal fluid leak. I really think if your positive you didn't put your thermostat in backwards, or something like that. Then I am still leaning towards that water pump.

I wonder if your coolant sensor is off, do you have a mechanical water temp gauge? I got a kit with three small mechanical gauges from canadian tire for around 50 bucks, and it came with the water temp sensor and hookups.

Found this:

* Cooling system leaks -- Loss of coolant because of a coolant leak is probably the most common cause of overheating. Possible leak points include hoses, the radiator, heater core, water pump, thermostat housing, head gasket, freeze plugs, automatic transmission oil cooler, cylinder head(s) and block.

Make a careful visual inspection of the entire cooling system, and then PRESSURE TEST the cooling system and radiator cap. A pressure test will reveal internal leaks such as seepage past the head gasket as well as cracks in the head or block. A good system should hold 12 to 15 psi for 15 minutes or more with no loss in pressure. If it leaks pressure, there is an internal coolant leak (most likely a bad head gasket but possibly also a cracked cylinder or engine block).

Have you taken the headers off, any signs of leaks there? Regarding the ticking noise. I would be willing to bet if there is signs of leakage on the header gaskets, that could possibly be your ticking problem. Unless it's a throwout bearing, which has a similar noise, accelerating with the ticking getting louder and increasing with rpm and load.

I'm kinda puzzled regarding the overheating because I don't think a header gasket leak would cause overheating. But it could be two totally different problems.

Your gauge is probably working okay too right...

Only thing I can think of is a bad water pump?? If it's really bad and the water pump fan broke off or something, and its not circulating. So you said when you had it running without topping it up, you weren't loosing fluid were you? Like lower intake gasket leak, where fluid get's in the oil, is your oil milky at all? If your pretty sure there is no internal fluid leak. I really think if your positive you didn't put your thermostat in backwards, or something like that. Then I am still leaning towards that water pump.

Anthony thanks for the help to start.

Yea when I pulled my header apart from the head, you could see in many spots where there were large leaks. So I assume thats where the noise was coming from.

Temp Sending Unit Replaced and tested. OK

Waterpump replaced twice in a month just to be sure. Thermostat installed with the spring facing the motor. Oil in not milky nor coolant with oil floating in it. And no signs of water leakage after I pulled the intake and heads off.