Ticking noise

Kev94Gt

Sep 25, 2008
Hey whats up guys, i need some help and i hope you guys can help me fix this problem. I will explain.

My 94 GT has a ticking sound coming from the driver's side head area. I replaced the header gasket's with new bolt's and also instaled lifter's (that had a few miles on them) and changed the oil with synthetic's.
While i was at it i instaled Crane 1.7 rocker's. (everything else in my motor is stock).
I fired up the car and the ticking was gone but came back a couple minutes later:shrug:
Could it be the fact that the lifter's fixed the problem but the ticking came back do to the 1.7 rocker's? Or can this be a valve problem or even something else?

I just want to get this fixed so i can have her back.
I appreciate the help guy's and hopefully i can get to the bottom of this once and for all. Thank's

• Sponsors (?)

some times valve train is noisy, especially when baffle is removed and new rockers are added. but if it is seems like its one ticking from each revolution then in prolly is a slightly collapse lifter. i would try replacing them.

there is another recent post about a similar problem. follow what others respond to him also.

i would check basics too, such as accessories and anything that rotates that comes close to anything else it may it.

check oil pressure by getting an after market gauge and replace the original sending unit with the one supplied with the new one provided and wire it up. dont bother running all the wires to the dash, just check the pressure. it should be in 45-50s in cold start ups and 10 or so at warm idle.

eric

ticking comes from 2 places. if its not a leaky header gasket, then its valvetrain. Plain and simple. Get yourself an mechanics stethoscope and pinpoint it. My guess would be a noisey rocker, or a bad lifter. Your rockers are non adjustable crane cobra 1.7's, so maybe you need to shim one of them up.
Later Anthony

P.S. Double check your spark plugs, maybe one came loose or the wire boot-causing an acring which would sound like a tick, tick, tick when that cylinder has spark.