Time for new brakes... What are your favorite?!

reeber

10 Year Member
Mar 10, 2004
Berlin, NJ
Help me with my research here. I originally was going to pick up the Baer Eradispeed kit for the front and back, but don't want to commit until I hear your opinions on any other brands that may either save me some money, or might perform a bit better.

• Sponsors (?)

I have been giving this a lot of thought lately and I do not think a different set of PBRs is the answer. The Cobra brake calipers will splay under hard use just like the GT calipers. I doubt they brake much better. Most gains people rave about are most likely from the new parts and fresh fluid.

The real answer is of course Brembo. The Cobra R kit to be precise.

True I overlooked that. Physics says that moving the pads out farther from the center of rotation will produce an enhanced braking effect. But one needs to consider radius not diameter in this situation. The change in radius is not a lot...

True I overlooked that. Physics says that moving the pads out farther from the center of rotation will produce an enhanced braking effect. But one needs to consider radius not diameter in this situation. The change in radius is not a lot...

the change from GT brakes to cobra brakes was an amazing one.

with GT brakes get up to about 120 then try and slow down ot 60, now try and slow down again... youll notice that they hve already faded.... now do the same with cobra brakes... ok now peel your face off the windshield now...

i love my cobra brakes, brembo rotors, 03 cobra calipers and Hawk HPS pads with Stainless steel lines.

as for the rears, the SN95 cars are so front biased that when you increase rear braking all you do is hold off brake fade for another few laps... and you also loose the ability to run a 15" wheel with a slick should you ever chose to.

i would NEVER buy the BAER kit since it is just a stock 03 cobra setup with a diffrent name on the calipers and then baers rotors but more than double the price, for the same price you can get the cobra R kit....

now if you already have teh cobra brake upgrade you can do the FocusRS upgrade which uses a 4-piston Brembo Caliper and a stock cobra rotor.

Cobra / Mach 1 brake upgrade from BuyFordRacing - unless you are building a TRUE race car (and not just a weekend warrior), you're pissing away money for overkill bling. Now go get that big bookshelf wing for the back and talk to us about all the downforce you gain (like you really need it...):rolleyes:

the change from GT brakes to cobra brakes was an amazing one.

with GT brakes get up to about 120 then try and slow down ot 60, now try and slow down again... youll notice that they hve already faded.... now do the same with cobra brakes... ok now peel your face off the windshield now....

Those were my observations as well.

I agree however with the whole "New parts = better braking" statement. I hang out on the Fox boards since i have a 5.0 and Fox Mustangs have terrible brakes. It never surprises me when someone puts on some cheap drilled rotors on the front and claims it made a huge difference. Any new part will outperform factory worn stuff.

However, the different between the cobra stuff and Gt stuff is not the same. I took my GT brakes off with 20K miles, so they were not very worn. I still have them and the pads are still full and rotors are well within spec. In normal street driving they are the same. A stop from 30MPH is going to feel the same if you have 9" or 17" brakes.

However, i noticed the difference from high speed stopping, especially coming off the highway. I would be doing 65MPH on the highway and get off the ramp and lay into the brakes hard. With the GT brakes, they would bite good at first, but when i get down to around 45MPH if i need to increase pedal pressure to slow more (fur a turn) i would notice they would be starting to fade slightly.

With the cobra brakes, i would never get this sense of fade. I would add more pressure late into the hard braking and the brakes would respond just as well as they did on the initial bite. I even notive with the stock PBR pads they repeated stops actually makes the pads bite slightly harder.

That's the main difference between the GT and cobra brakes....MASS. Forget diamters and just figure out the mass of a 10.8" x 1.0" rotor vs a 13" x 1.1" rotor. The larger rotor can absorb more heat and resist fade better.

More massive rotors also slow you down a tad bit as well do to rotational mass just like larger wheels :)