Engine Timing cover/oil pan gasket

Dgtrk21

May 9, 2021
New York
Hey guys! In the process of putting a new timing cover on from LMR on a 89 5.0 and I'm at the part where I'm supposed to cut the oil pan gasket but I'm stumped. The pan gasket is a rubber with metal band in it. Am I supposed to somehow cut that flush with the block? Or is that gasket different from stock in Wich the new cork corner gaskets they provide not work? Thanks for any help!!

• Sponsors (?)

First time for this question. Traditionally with a cork oil pan gasket, you just cut it clean at the front of the block on the pan where the timing cover fits back on. There will be a short set of cork gasket pieces that fit in there with some hi tack to reseal.

What you have is the one piece rubber gasket, which is fairly new. I have only used it once and have not taken it apart. If its in good shape, you should be able to put some rtv in the corners at the block and cover and re use it, i think.

First time for this question. Traditionally with a cork oil pan gasket, you just cut it clean at the front of the block on the pan where the timing cover fits back on. There will be a short set of cork gasket pieces that fit in there with some hi tack to reseal.

What you have is the one piece rubber gasket, which is fairly new. I have only used it once and have not taken it apart. If its in good shape, you should be able to put some rtv in the corners at the block and cover and re use it, i think.
Thanks for your input, that's kinda what I was thinking also but didn't want to make a bigger mess.

I did a write up on this last time I did it. I can't find :poo: on here so feel free to look around for it using my name. Sad, I know. If I can find it I'll post a link.

Best way I've found is to loosen or remove all but the back couple of pan bolts and push the front of the pan down with the gasket, install timing cover and snug don't tighten the timing cover bolts, bolt up the pan then tighten the timing cover.

Reactions: 1 user
Best way I've found is to loosen or remove all but the back couple of pan bolts and push the front of the pan down with the gasket, install timing cover and snug don't tighten the timing cover bolts, bolt up the pan then tighten the timing cover.
That is basically what I did. I put a small wedge on each side of the pan to hold it down just a little.

Loosened up the oil pan which worked. I did a couple heat cycles then retorqued the bolts. Haven't driven it much yet, but so far so good.

Attachments

• IMG_20210512_185107580.jpg
    IMG_20210512_185107580.jpg
    354 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20210512_200753625.jpg
    IMG_20210512_200753625.jpg
    388.3 KB · Views: 64