Timming issue, overheating please help

98mustang90

Nov 21, 2015
Ok guys, I have a few questions for you, I just had a new 331 built for my mustang, it does have a 70mm turbo on it.185cc afr heads, head studs. Felpro head gaskets, The car runs good, The car has been tuned, The air and fuel ratio seems to be good, other than the temperature start to climb when I start to boost, only running 6 psi right now since the engine is still new. Everything on the coolant system is brand new, electric fans, big Radiator, 160 Thermostat, new water pump I'm at a lost right now, so today I decided I was going to check the timming on the car, by the way had a performance shop do all of the work to the car not me lol, any ways when I pulled the spout connector out and put my timming light on it, it reads at 0*???? When I plug the spout connector back in and check it, it reads at 10* is this right could this be a cause in the overheating, I had a shop check for a blown head gaskets 3 times and it comes back good every time so no exhaust gasses in the coolant system. Any help at this point would be great.

• Sponsors (?)

There are a lot of mixed opinions on the 160 thermostats. Some say the cars run too cold and some claim that it can cause the overheating like you described. The thought is that it never stays closed long enough to allow coolant to sit in the radiator and be cooled.

Another thought, what radiator, what fans and what shrouds do you have? If it's the mishimoto, or however it's spelled, fans, that's your problem.

Joe

There are a lot of mixed opinions on the 160 thermostats. Some say the cars run too cold and some claim that it can cause the overheating like you described. The thought is that it never stays closed long enough to allow coolant to sit in the radiator and be cooled.

Another thought, what radiator, what fans and what shrouds do you have? If it's the mishimoto, or however it's spelled, fans, that's your problem.

Joe

So I had a 180 Thermostat in the car when it was built and it was even worse, I put the 3 core Aluminum lmr radiator and there Dual electric fans in and its slot better but you can see once I start to boost the temp starts to come up and will keep going if you dont give it some time to cool down

So I had a 180 Thermostat in the car when it was built and it was even worse, I put the 3 core Aluminum lmr radiator and there Dual electric fans in and its slot better but you can see once I start to boost the temp starts to come up and will keep going if you dont give it some time to cool down
What do you think about the timming being at 0* when the spout connector is out? Is that normal or is there something wrong there?

What do you think about the timming being at 0* when the spout connector is out? Is that normal or is there something wrong there?

Generally stock mustang computers have a base of 10 and tuners will add additional timing through the computer. I would ask the tuner to explain that to you. Extremely retarded timing will cause unburned fuel to exit and burn in the exhaust, which could lead to heat issues.

Post a link to the fan assembly you have, I bet the fans are your problem. Myself and others on here have been through the same thing. The radiator is a decent piece, but the fans are extremely week. Most of us have swapped to an oem fan deal.

Joe

Generally stock mustang computers have a base of 10 and tuners will add additional timing through the computer. I would ask the tuner to explain that to you. Extremely retarded timing will cause unburned fuel to exit and burn in the exhaust, which could lead to heat issues.

Post a link to the fan assembly you have, I bet the fans are your problem. Myself and others on here have been through the same thing. The radiator is a decent piece, but the fans are extremely week. Most of us have swapped to an oem fan deal.

Joe
20180322_183429.jpg

Attachments

• 20180322_183429.jpg
    20180322_183429.jpg
    374.9 KB · Views: 130
Hopefully some others will chime in, but I think you have the same cheapo fans that come with many of the other Chinese radiator kits. My bet would be that is your problem.

@mikestang63, @TOOLOW91, @CarMichael Angelo, @srtthis and others.

Joe

Even though when I'm doing 60 or more on the high way wouldn't there be enough air coming in to keep it cool under boost? Say with the junk fans? Would I be better of going back to a stock setup or something else?

Hopefully some others will chime in with their thoughts. Part of the problem is that the shroud is so shallow that it does not allow adeqaute airflow. Don't go out and buyam anything different just yet, but that is my first guess.

I had a similar setup and ended up swapping to the dual contour fans. They pull a lot of amps but cool great. In fact, a few years back my big 3 core radiator sprung a leak right before a nmra race and I didn't have the money to buy a new one. Instead I bought an $85 stock replacement from advanced auto, swapped over my contour fans and ran the true street event without problem. Still have the stock replacement on the car today.

Joe

The radiator is fine . I run the mishimoto In mine . I never liked the 160 stat . I run a 180 and the car will run cool enough to close it on a cool night .

I’d swap those fans for either a Lincoln mark 8 fan and proper relay setup . Or a ford contour fan which is what I run for clearance on my blower pulley which you don’t have to worry about .

The timing is another issue and id talk to tuner . Spout out in power adder cars I always run 10 base .

The radiator is fine . I run the mishimoto In mine . I never liked the 160 stat . I run a 180 and the car will run cool enough to close it on a cool night .

I’d swap those fans for either a Lincoln mark 8 fan and proper relay setup . Or a ford contour fan which is what I run for clearance on my blower pulley which you don’t have to worry about .

The timing is another issue and id talk to tuner . Spout out in power adder cars I always run 10 base .

Okay, what year cars would fit in mine? For the fans! And if you had to guess why would the timming be like that? Could that be a issue for running hotter? Thanks a lot

Okay, what year cars would fit in mine? For the fans! And if you had to guess why would the timming be like that? Could that be a issue for running hotter? Thanks a lot
As for the fans, the 1995-2000 V6 Contours should have the dual fans. I've also read some of the Cougars and Mystiques use the same fan. Got mine for $25 at the local salvage yard. Cools my supercharged 306 just fine.
IMG_0995.JPG

It was touched on above having timing to far retarded would cause the fuel to burn in the exhaust . I’d talk to your tuner and ask why . He did it for some reason right or wrong so I’d be curious for the explanation

It was touched on above having timing to far retarded would cause the fuel to burn in the exhaust . I’d talk to your tuner and ask why . He did it for some reason right or wrong so I’d be curious for the explanation

Yeah I'm going to talk to him tomorrow morning, I will let you guys know what happens with that, thanks for all the help going to get a different fan setup either way, because the ones I have now are on 1866 cfm for both!! Looking for a setup like the contor fans, if you guys know where any are let me know thanks

As jeff said id ditch those fans in favor of a mark 8 fan.

the timing is another issue all together. id call the tuner and see why he did it that way. or id find a new tuner all together.

Yeah I'm going to talk to him tomorrow morning, I will let you guys know what happens with that, thanks for all the help going to get a different fan setup either way, because the ones I have now are on 1866 cfm for both!! Looking for a setup like the contor fans, if you guys know where any are let me know thanks

Lol, oh yeah, we are talking 2500-3500 cfm for the oem style fans.

Joe

You can get brand new dorman replacements from summit for the contours that work well or hit eBay for a used oem set . I’ve used both