Tips on cleaning a convertible top

I got the following info from the Corvette Forum. The member who posted it said that after cleaning his moldy, mildewed and stained top, it looked like new. He got his info from a boat detailer at the marina.

Here's how he described going about it. After allowing the top to warm up in the sun, spray a 50 – 50 solution of bleach and water on the top and let it sit for 20 minutes. DO NOT RUB. Then wash it using 303 Top cleaner. Let it dry in the sun then apply Fabric Guard top spray from 303.

I won’t be trying this method until I get my next convertible but it sounds like it should work. I think I would use a 1 part bleach and 4 parts water to start. Hate to see my convertible top disintegrate before my eyes.

• Sponsors (?)

I have had great results with a product called Raggtopp http://raggtopp.com/
It's gentle on the vinyl top material and most importantly it wont damage the stitching. I would worry about bleach, at any dilution, damaging the stitching.

FWIW, I have also heard good things about 303

Listen to me.... A very old detailer showed me the absolute best cleaner and detailer for carpet and vinyl. When he showed me the can I was completely surprised. Ambersol shaving cream works wonders on convertible tops, door panels, and our carpets. It cleans and conditions... also smells good. Yes, I'm talking about basic dolla store or Wally world, cheap, Ambersol aerosol shaving cream in a navy blue and white can.

I've owned multiple verts and install convertible tops on a bunch of makes and models. This stuff will take off mildew and moss with ease. It'll also soften and condition older vinyl.

I use a plastic bristle scrub brush. Afterwards, rinse with water or wipe with a damp cloth. Im a mechanic ( my ranger door panel gets DIRTY ). The only thing that gets them clean is Ambersol. It even gets the grease stain completely out....back to original color. Carpets are the same.

Try it....its too cheap not to !!!!!

No to bleach ???? I have used top conditioning solutions with good results. You'd never catch me with any bleach mix anywhere close to my customers or my vinyl tops....and petroleum products are a bad idea for vinyl as well. ( Vaseline is petroleum based ).

Last edited: