TKO Woes, And I Don't Even Have One Yet

HGFireHazard

Apr 10, 2005
Michigan
I called Astro Performance today because I had some questions and wanted a few opinions about their gear kits and etc, and after talking and spouting that I'm looking to do a 331 and have roughly 500 wheel hp and tq a few years down the road he turned me towards a TKO 600.

Now, I've been reading and searching for almost 2 hours now, but I still have questions.

Is there any reason to not get a Tremec bellhousing, aside from the fact that it isn't a scattershield (like the Lakewood and Mcleod ones)? I don't mind paying for a better housing if the only reason is to keep the clutch and flywheel from killing me in the event that it flew out of there, but I want to know if that's the only benefit.

Do you need 2 shorter bolts for the top of the bellhousing, or have I been reading threads wrong? If so, do they just need to be shorter (something I can find in a regular hardware store)?

It looks like darkhorse performance has a slightly better deal on the TKO over Astro (comes with slipyoke and mount for similar price), anyone bought from there, or can think of a better place to go than these two?

Do I need an 87-93 clutch cable dust cover? I have no idea where that goes, near the bellhousing somewhere? Where can I get one?

Can I just use a 21 (red) tooth speedo gear and have it completely accurate for 3.73 gears? I read that the drive gear inside the tranny will allow for this.

I'm getting a new driveshaft with all of this anyways, but I don't know a place that does custom ones, will a FR Aluminum and the spacer work okay, or does someone know of a place around Lansing, Michigan?

Anyone know a good place to get the dial indicator and base I need so I can adjust the runout on a new bellhousing properly?

When removing the exhaust hanger piece (as I've read almost everyone doing), do people just fab up a piece of metal the same thickness and size and throw it in the same place?

Are there any other small/misc. parts that I need to get. I know about trans fluid and a 26t clutch (and the parts/bearing associated with a clutch swap), but I read something about a plug for the NSS or something?

I'm not sure if I had more questions or not, but these are what I have for right now. I know I have lots of them, but maybe this thread could become really informative by having most of the answers to the 'basic' questions in one place.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I called Astro Performance today because I had some questions and wanted a few opinions about their gear kits and etc, and after talking and spouting that I'm looking to do a 331 and have roughly 500 wheel hp and tq a few years down the road he turned me towards a TKO 600.

Now, I've been reading and searching for almost 2 hours now, but I still have questions.

Is there any reason to not get a Tremec bellhousing, aside from the fact that it isn't a scattershield (like the Lakewood and Mcleod ones)? I don't mind paying for a better housing if the only reason is to keep the clutch and flywheel from killing me in the event that it flew out of there, but I want to know if that's the only benefit.

Do you need 2 shorter bolts for the top of the bellhousing, or have I been reading threads wrong? If so, do they just need to be shorter (something I can find in a regular hardware store)?

It looks like darkhorse performance has a slightly better deal on the TKO over Astro (comes with slipyoke and mount for similar price), anyone bought from there, or can think of a better place to go than these two?

Do I need an 87-93 clutch cable dust cover? I have no idea where that goes, near the bellhousing somewhere? Where can I get one?

Can I just use a 21 (red) tooth speedo gear and have it completely accurate for 3.73 gears? I read that the drive gear inside the tranny will allow for this.

I'm getting a new driveshaft with all of this anyways, but I don't know a place that does custom ones, will a FR Aluminum and the spacer work okay, or does someone know of a place around Lansing, Michigan?

Anyone know a good place to get the dial indicator and base I need so I can adjust the runout on a new bellhousing properly?

When removing the exhaust hanger piece (as I've read almost everyone doing), do people just fab up a piece of metal the same thickness and size and throw it in the same place?

Are there any other small/misc. parts that I need to get. I know about trans fluid and a 26t clutch (and the parts/bearing associated with a clutch swap), but I read something about a plug for the NSS or something?

I'm not sure if I had more questions or not, but these are what I have for right now. I know I have lots of them, but maybe this thread could become really informative by having most of the answers to the 'basic' questions in one place.

Thanks.

I have the tremec bellhousing, and I guess I'm just hoping that my clutch never lets go. If you want to be safe go with a scattershield, but I've heard they can be a bitch to fit.

yeah, you'll need a fox dust cover. you can get one at mustangsunlimited.com or probably 50resto.com.

As far as the speedo gear, check out steeda.com, they got all the gears and the site will tell you exactly what you need.

Driveshaft wise, I don't know of any place that will make a custom one, but I used my stock one with the steeda hardcore spacer and it works fine.

I never measured the runout---which might come back to bite me, but I haven't had any problems yet. You can get the tool at a lot of places online or Harbor Freight.

I got two 1/4 steel plates fabbed up to go between the tranny mount and the crossmember to get the angle right. Thusfar, I haven't noticed any vibrations at high speed, but I appear to have been the exception as others have had vibration issues.

As far is miscellenous other peices, there aren't really any others that I can think of that you haven't mentioned....maybe the 31 spline yoke, but that's about it.

If DS mods are needed, if Wixom is semi-nearby, maybe D&D/Walsh Racing can be of assistance.

Good luck and enjoy the new rower. :D

i'm about to dive head first into this and I have a tremec bell and i'm not to concerned about it, you really don't need the dust shield, mine didn't fit on my stock t5 with an adjustable cable. You will need a fox clutch fork, the slip yoke, and the driveshaft spacer. If you call www.bieberfever.com, they sell an offset transmission mount to use with the 94/95 and a tko which should allow you to bolt it right in without any vibrations...

i'm about to dive head first into this and I have a tremec bell and i'm not to concerned about it, you really don't need the dust shield, mine didn't fit on my stock t5 with an adjustable cable. You will need a fox clutch fork, the slip yoke, and the driveshaft spacer. If you call www.bieberfever.com, they sell an offset transmission mount to use with the 94/95 and a tko which should allow you to bolt it right in without any vibrations...

I'll give them a call tomorrow and ask about that transmission mount, thanks!

I was under the impression I didn't need to do anything with the clutch fork?

And I will indeed enjoy my new rower :D

Sorry but WTH are you guys talking about? Is this another safety issue with the mustang? What is this about the need for a "scattershield?" Is this with stock or just beefed up cars? Is the t-5 not safe in the event a clutch breaks or something? Thanks.

Sorry but WTH are you guys talking about? Is this another safety issue with the mustang? What is this about the need for a "scattershield?" Is this with stock or just beefed up cars? Is the t-5 not safe in the event a clutch breaks or something? Thanks.

From the information that I've come up with, that if the flywheel and/or clutch come undone or break for whatever reason and decide to exit through the bellhousing one without a scattershield can potentially allow the pieces through.

I read a post on here somewhere about someone looking at a car that said it needed the windshield replaced, but it also needed the dash and etc. because that's what happened (supposedly).

Obviously I can't verify that story or that a clutch/flywheel will come out, but why else would they make them then? Don't you need them to race in certain 'leagues' if you achieve a certain 1/4 time?

Furthermore, can someone else verify that I need a fox clutch fork? Everything I've called on and looked up today hasn't said that?

EDIT: I thought of another question, I have longtubes, does that make any difference in the install?

From the information that I've come up with, that if the flywheel and/or clutch come undone or break for whatever reason and decide to exit through the bellhousing one without a scattershield can potentially allow the pieces through.

I read a post on here somewhere about someone looking at a car that said it needed the windshield replaced, but it also needed the dash and etc. because that's what happened (supposedly).

Obviously I can't verify that story or that a clutch/flywheel will come out, but why else would they make them then? Don't you need them to race in certain 'leagues' if you achieve a certain 1/4 time?

Furthermore, can someone else verify that I need a fox clutch fork? Everything I've called on and looked up today hasn't said that?

EDIT: I thought of another question, I have longtubes, does that make any difference in the install?

Wow! Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I guess you could also put your own metal plating like under the carpet if you wanted..just an idea.

yes,you can use shorter bolts or use a few washers as i did.

you can use the dust cover you have or get a fox dust cover but both will have to be modified to fit...

yes this is the speedo gear i used and its accurate.

call 248 735-6220 D&D performance they can answer all of your questions and seel you what you need they do this install all the time..they helped and sold me what i needed. you also need a 31 spline output shaft. and driveshaft spacer D&D can tell you the exact size spacer.

as stated above you will need a fox body clutch fork and you dont need to worry about a plug if your using a speedo gear the plug your talking about is for this bore if your using the electronic speed sensor . d&d sells a tranny mount relocator that will bolt right up.also ensure your midpipe can be removed i had to have exhaust flanges welded in before tranny install.

you can use the dust cover you have or get a fox dust cover but both will have to be modified to fit...

Is the dust cover that everyone is referring to part LRS-7513A ? It's $40, so the question is is it easier to modify that one versus the stock one I have? What do you mean by modify?

A few more questions...

Would this alignment tool for a 10.5"x1 1/8" X 26 Spline clutch work?
- CTF-53026

And, what seems to be all the trouble with long tubes, I have them and need to know what's up. I'm doing the Tremec aluminum bell, what kind of work am I looking at?

Furthermore, where can I get dowels for the Tremec Bell to properly align it? The only ones I can seem to find are from Lakewood and I have no idea if those would work or not. If those will work, is my only viable solution to measure the run-out and then order the ones I need if it isn't within spec? Minimal downtime is best for this project, so if I can get some other/cheaper dowels ahead of time that would help.

I'm about to start ordering all this crap and this is pretty much my last few questions I need answered, thanks!

Is the dust cover that everyone is referring to part LRS-7513A ? It's $40, so the question is is it easier to modify that one versus the stock one I have? What do you mean by modify?

A few more questions...

Would this alignment tool for a 10.5"x1 1/8" X 26 Spline clutch work?
- CTF-53026

And, what seems to be all the trouble with long tubes, I have them and need to know what's up. I'm doing the Tremec aluminum bell, what kind of work am I looking at?

Furthermore, where can I get dowels for the Tremec Bell to properly align it? The only ones I can seem to find are from Lakewood and I have no idea if those would work or not. If those will work, is my only viable solution to measure the run-out and then order the ones I need if it isn't within spec? Minimal downtime is best for this project, so if I can get some other/cheaper dowels ahead of time that would help.

I'm about to start ordering all this crap and this is pretty much my last few questions I need answered, thanks!

ya i do remember finding the one for $40....big rip off but you can bend the sheet metal on the existing cover fairly well to make a good fit and you will need to drill a small hole at the bottom to fasten it.