TKO600 install

I think all of the crossmembers are made by california pony cars (or are copies of them). If you check mustang unlimited, mustang depot, dallas mustang, etc, they all list TRA-670-640 as the part number.

Cal Pony

They're cheaper if you don't buy them direct from cal pony cars.

• Sponsors (?)

The one in Snakepilot's picture looks like the one on the Dallas Mustang site. Besides all the others mentioned, Modern Driveline (Modern Driveline - T5 / TREMEC TKO Transmission Conversion - Swap your Ford Mustang, Falcon, Cobra, Hotrod into Overdrive! Performance Parts) also offers one for sale. They say it's a new design, only been available for about two months now, but they still don't have a picture of it on their site. I'm in the market for one of these for my 67 FB that's getting a TKO, but I wan to see what it looks like first.

Finally got a picture of the Modern Driveline crossmember.

TKOCrossmember.jpg

Attachments

• TKOCrossmember.jpg
    TKOCrossmember.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 200
That's a good looking crossmember. I wouldn't have been able to modify that one as easily to raise the rear mount. You could use shims though. I think all of the 67-70 mounts will position the trans so it will fit in a stock tunnel (not sure about the 65-66). If you want to change the driveline angle you are going to have to change the rear mount height.

DSCN1690c.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN1690c.jpg
    DSCN1690c.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 271
I've looked at Dark Horse before but can't find anything other than the complete conversion kit shown for the Falcon. I think their site is pretty useless.

Heck I couldn't even get them to call me back after leaving 3 messages. Good luck with them. Perhaps they have so much business they don't need to return calls. I gave up and contacted DVS restorations about their adjustable cross member. I will be using it on my T56 conversion. Once the tranny gets off backorder that is. :mad:

DVS Restorations - UTC Universal Transmission Crossmember

Not the only option for a T56. Ron Morris has a Uni cross member that will work as well but requires much more effort to install and I had concerns that it would work with my exhaust. I am running RM lowering motor mounts and I felt the DVS crossmember will allow me to adjust the pinion angle much easier than the other options.

I have a great deal of respect for the work that Dave from DVS does, but I don't think I would ever use that crossmember they sell. The one from Ron Morris also looks flimsy to me. I'll be choosing between the one from Dallas Mustang (Cal Ponycars) and the new one from Modern Driveline.

How strong do you really need a crossmember to be? It is not like it is a jacking point on the car. I am not excited about the erector style crossmeber from DVS but I had limited choices for my T56 conversion. My thought was that once it gets in there and the angles are good I would just weld it so there would be no chance it would move on me.

I am running a Ron Morris T5 crossmember now and it is very sufficient for the job it does. More metal or thicker metal doesn't make it better IMO.

I think in all this we should be talking about the ride height of the rear of the car as well as the driveshaft angle, since one obviously effects the other.

I wonder if we could agree on a point, probably on the frame rails, that is common to all years of cars, and measure ride height from there?

I think in all this we should be talking about the ride height of the rear of the car as well as the driveshaft angle, since one obviously effects the other.

I wonder if we could agree on a point, probably on the frame rails, that is common to all years of cars, and measure ride height from there?

Rear ride height doesn't matter. That only changes the driveshaft angle and that is only a problem if it is so severe the u-joints bind. Unless you have a 4x4 or a donk, that shouldn't be an issue.

The pinion angle will not change as the suspension moves up and down. It will change some during acceleration due to spring wrap. I am not as familiar with G-Bars and EVM 3-links but, by design the pinion angle should not change as the suspension (ride height) moves up and down.

You want your pinion angle to be equal but opposite the transmission angle. You can adjust it with shims on a leaf spring car. Check your installation manual for the 3- and 4-link suspensions.

The only way to change the transmission angle is the engine mounts and/or the trans mount. You are some what limited with how low you can mount the engine (using factory style frame rails, i.e. not Mustang II). The trans tunnel limits how high you can raise the trans mount.

Cobra2c.jpg

Attachments

• Cobra2c.jpg
    Cobra2c.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 123
OK so i cut my transmission tunnel out today. It wasn't going to fit right and i figured i might as well do it cause i had to cut up the firewall to get the engine to fit with the bellhousing. I had to cut the cross member/tranny mount too cause it was definitely hitting on that.