Drivetrain Tkx install. Exhaust hanger not lining up.

ChaseRoads

do I need to lube this area?
Oct 29, 2020
midwestern america
Nearly at the end of the tkx swap. This is what my tech is running into. Trans is mounted, needing to get the exhaust mounted to wrap it up.

this is an aod to tkx swap. It’s an aftermarket off road H pipe that was in the car before. Nothing exhaust wise has changed. It has aftermarket shorty headers. It does NOT have long tubes.

We have the stifflers mount, the spacer kit, and manual exhaust hanger.

The order is crossmember,spacer , trans mount,exhaust hanger, bushing .

The issue is when the exhaust is in the hanger it pulls the exhaust way down where it won’t mate with the headers and the backside pushes into the floorboards.

Does anyone know if mid pipes have different hangers for auto/manual ?

Anyone have experience with the tkx, stiffers set up? Maybe we have the parts out of order. Any help is appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Stock configuration with a T5 is exhaust hanger bracket against the trans and the transmission mount against the hanger bracket and the. Bolt them to the trans. From there it’s crossmember to the trans mount.

This is how mine is setup. It’s a T5 however.

Crossmember, spacer, mount, hanger, trans.
BA19090F-42A1-4351-99BD-13F1C0AE9AA0.jpeg

There is a different exhaust hanger for the AOD and T5, but the exhaust itself is the same. My car was an AOD car and I ran the same H-pipe before and after but the hanger differs.

Last edited:
Looking around a bit online I can’t seem to find any info on where to sandwich the exhaust hanger.

Found this showing X-member, spacer, mount, bushings, then driveshaft safety kit and then the trans. I wonder if the exhaust hanger goes above the bushings
B486F9C5-F6B5-4EBA-A540-5976C9F76450.jpeg

Their own install directions don’t even show the exhaust hangar mount

I will admit, with my old H-pope I cut the hangers off so I didn’t use the mount. I still ran it just to make sure driveline angles were corrext

Stuffers has a TKO / TKX install kit that goes with the cross member. This removes the need for the aluminum spacer as it sets the engine angle back to “stock”.

This is what it looks like installed with the exhaust hanger (pic is off of YouTube video)

9DB01D06-6306-4F71-A296-390C031CE8F9.png

Reactions: 1 users
we decided to cut the hangers and we weld them. we tried multiple combinations and 2 different exhaust set ups, something about the stifflers or tkx moved things just enough that it wouldn't work. Hoping to have the car pretty much done this weekend. will update once it's back.

Reactions: 2 users
I have a TKX in my 83 and have it installed like Aerocoupe.... I believe that is the correct way... The hanger bolts directly to the transmission..
Vert89, there are two small black spacers used to adjust the angle of the TKX just like Aerocoupes picture shows... I think I purchased mine from summit..
My car has not been on the road yet, but looks spot on so far......
DSCF1291.JPG

So the black spacers between the exhaust hanger plate and the transmission mount appear to be to set the transmission angle which I think everyone can agree on.

Second thing is I was only trying to illustrate how the exhaust hanger plate was supposed to be installed. That is not my car so I have no dog in fight with regards to the correct crossmember installation procedure as I don’t have an aftermarket crossmember in either car. I modified the stock double hump crossmember for the TKO in the T-Bird back in 1998 when that got installed.

Reactions: 1 user