To downshift or not to downshift?

You shouldnt be hitting the gas at all while downshifting. Your brake pads last longer when you downshift. Also if downshifting to stop when correctly done it puts little or no abnormal stress on the tranny or clutch..

• Sponsors (?)

You shouldnt be hitting the gas at all while downshifting. Your brake pads last longer when you downshift. Also if downshifting to stop when correctly done it puts little or no abnormal stress on the tranny or clutch..

lol what are you talking about.

If you dont hit the gas when you downshift and youre riding the clutch into the gears then you dont know what youre doing. Think brake pads are a bitch? try a clutch.

Im going to have to disagree.. Ive been driving a 5 speed since i was 14 and only blew 1 clutch due to improper instalation. If it were a bike id say match the RPMs but if your slowing to a stop you use the brake and the clutch no gas. Until recently all i ever drove was a 5 speed. The way i drive it is the same way my grandfather taught me how when i first started out and that old man never smoked a clutch in his life.

Im going to have to disagree.. Ive been driving a 5 speed since i was 14 and only blew 1 clutch due to improper instalation. If it were a bike id say match the RPMs but if your slowing to a stop you use the brake and the clutch no gas. Until recently all i ever drove was a 5 speed. The way i drive it is the same way my grandfather taught me how when i first started out and that old man never smoked a clutch in his life.

lol riding the clutch to slow down the car is probably the most stress you can put on your drivetrain aside from launches on slicks and powershifting....youre trying to stop/slow down 3,000lbs of momentum with youre clutch...

What are you two talking about? You just let off the gas, push in the clutch, shift down a gear, and let out the clutch the same or slightly faster than if you were shifting up. There is no more stress on the clutch than there would be when you shift up.

What are you two talking about? You just jet off the gas, push in the clutch, shift down a gear, and let out the clutch the same or slightly faster than if you were shifting up.

RPM matching...when you downshift if you just let the clutch out without tapping the gas, youre slowing down the car with the clutch.....this is why I like to downshift the right way because most people dont know how to do it right.

lol I can post up a video if its really needed...

lol riding the clutch to slow down the car is probably the most stress you can put on your drivetrain aside from launches on slicks and powershifting....youre trying to stop/slow down 3,000lbs of momentum with youre clutch...

You my friend need to learn to read. I believe i said brake and clutch. Take your douche baggery else where. I never heard of a tranny blowing from downshifting.

lol getting defensive? Its not my fault if you drive your car like a woman. Dont you just have a light bolt on car anyways...?

Oh i forgot you must be an expert because you have an H/C/I mustang and can do burnouts with it. Wow i must be a bitch because i drove a lightly modified stang thats it im a woman. Get a ****ing clue already..

Hmmmm, giving the 300 or so hp vehicle gas to push a 3000 lb car vs. downshifting slowing down the 3000 lb vehicle using engine compression.

You do realize you can turn an engine over with a 2 or 3 foot breaker bar right? So how would engine compression be more stressful on the clutch than engine power?

I think you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, and your are the one driving like a woman because you dont understand how any of this works and your info comes from no first hand knowledge.

Hmmmm, giving the 300 or so hp vehicle gas to push a 3000 lb car vs. downshifting slowing down the 3000 lb vehicle using engine compression.

You do realize you can turn an engine over with a 2 or 3 foot breaker bar right? So how would engine compression be more stressful on the clutch than engine power?

I think you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, and your are the one driving like a woman because you dont understand how any of this works and your info comes from no first hand knowledge.

Im not arguing about that, downshifting is fine, Im argueing the fact of not rpm matching, Im gonna put up a video just to show what Im talking about, before RSstange slits his wrists. Gimme a few mins. The arguement Im talking about is when you do not RPM match, youre killing your clutch, lol dont get mad at me too now.

Im not arguing about that, downshifting is fine, Im argueing the fact of not rpm matching, Im gonna put up a video just to show what Im talking about, before RSstange slits his wrists. Gimme a few mins. The arguement Im talking about is when you do not RPM match, youre killing your clutch, lol dont get mad at me too now.

No ones saying drop the clutch. We're saying to ease into it as if you were shifting up. That is RPM matching.

What your doing is unnecessary and increases the stopping time, you would have to seriously plan ahead for that, it also makes you sound like a ricer lookin for a race revin up for no reason when your in traffic doing that.

I use the brake and down shift. Regardless of what you think, it is no more stressful on the clutch than shifting up. The only possible negative effect is it could wear down the clutch a little quicker.