Too Much Fuel Pressure?

esr209

Apr 9, 2014
Just recently my external electric fuel pump went out. I have replaced it and now my evap canister is full of fuel and leaking quickly. Do I have too much fuel pressure at carb, or what are other scenarios which may need addressed?

• Sponsors (?)

Can you elaborate a bit about the details of your car. Did you replace the pump with the same kind you had before? Did you change anything else at the same time? You're carbed and have an EVAP canister?

yes i have an epa canister and carb,the evap canister is on passenger side under battery tray location (or thereabout), and the only thing I replaced was the fuel pump that fed the carb. its an 84 gt 5.o 5 bbl carb car

If the evap canister is full of fuel, it must be sucking it out of the fuel tank. Go through the Code 85 test path below and check to see that the solenoid valve isn't stuck open.

Code 85 - CANP solenoid - The Carbon Canister solenoid is inoperative or missing. Check vacuum lines for leaks and cracks. Check electrical wiring for loose connections, damaged wiring and insulation. Check solenoid valve operation by grounding the gray/yellow wire to the solenoid and blowing through it.
The computer provides the ground for the solenoid. The red wire to the solenoid is always energized any time the ignition switch is in the run position.

Charcoal canister plumbing - one 3/8" tube from the bottom of the upper manifold to the rubber hose. Rubber hose connects to one side of the canister solenoid valve. Other side of the solenoid valve connects to one side of the canister. The other side of the canister connects to a rubber hose that connects to a line that goes all the way back to the gas tank. There is an electrical connector coming from the passenger side injector harness near #1 injector that plugs into the canister solenoid valve. It's purpose is to vent the gas tank. The solenoid valve opens at cruse to provide some extra fuel. The canister is normally mounted on the passenger side frame rail near the smog pump pulley.

attachment.php

It does not weigh but a pound or so and helps richen up the cruse mixture. It draws no HP & keeps the car from smelling like gasoline in a closed garage. So with all these good things and no bad ones, why not hook it up & use it?

The purge valve solenoid connector is a dangling wire that is near the ECT sensor and oil filler on the passenger side rocker cover. The actual solenoid valve is down next to the carbon canister. There is about 12"-16" of wire that runs parallel to the canister vent hose that comes off the bottom side of the upper intake manifold. That hose connects one port of the solenoid valve; the other port connects to the carbon canister.

The purge valve solenoid should be available at your local auto parts store.

Purge valve solenoid:

The carbon canister is normally mounted on the passenger side frame rail near the smog pump pulley.
Carbon Canister:
getimage.php

If the OP reports that he has a carbon canister it is.

Rock Auto shows a replacement for it...

1984 FORD MUSTANG 5.0L 302cid V8 : Emission : Vapor Canister

Price $88.79

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # CP2001 {Click Info Link for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Number of Ports: 1;Number of Hose Connectors: 2; Hose Size - Inches: 15/64" & 11/32"
Carb

CP2001_PRIMARY.jpg

It works the same, still a canister, solenoid valve, and plumbing...

The 84 also had a primitive emissions control computer...

1984 FORD MUSTANG 5.0L 302cid V8 : Electrical : Engine Control Module (ECM Computer)
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # EM637 {Click Info Link for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Reman; Pin Terminals; Terminal Gender: Male; Number of Terminals: 50; Flashable: No; Connector Gender: Female
Automatic trans.; FI; OE No. E4VF-TA; w/ Calif. Emissions

Last edited: