Top Motor Question

davidengel

Nov 18, 2020
Syraucse
Hi everyone, first time question, new Mustang owner...

Bought a '07 GT convertible in January. I've already had both top cylinders leak, replaced them pretty easily. Now the top motor won't work. My top's down. In November, in Syracuse. I checked and the relays are good, and the cylinders are fine.

Question: Is it a safe bet that it's the top motor?
Also, can I purchase a top motor from another Mustang generation? Looking to save a bit of money.
Thanks for your time,

Dave Engel

You should be able to pull the top up by hand, it ain't easy and you have to be patient and go slow, I've done this on a couple verts I've owned, as far as the motors go, I don't know how interchangeable they are, you could check with a salvage yard or a ford dealer.

Thanks for the responses. I haven't been able to lift the hood manually. My wife and I were both pulling on it, it just won't move.

I checked the fuses, relays, the switch on the dash, when pushed, does send the windows down, but there is no movement on the top motor. Not a sound. I put in a new top motor...and still nothing. Any ideas what to try next? I'm stumped at this point, and would like to avoid bringing it to a mechanic with the top still down.

Can you hear the motor run?
If yes: it is low on fluid or air locked ( highly unlikely)
If no: you can appy power to the motor at the connector, should be two wires (at least it is on fox cars) put power to one wire at a time, be very careful, I think you can get to the motor through the trunk, keep appendages away from moving parts.
Have you checked for power at the fuse/relay?

I have a 2008 mustang convertible that the top quit working on. I took the rear seat out so I could get to the top motor. I drained all of the fluid out of the top motor and now I can manually put the top up and down. Hope this helps.