Top Motor Question

davidengel

Nov 18, 2020
Syraucse
Hi everyone, first time question, new Mustang owner...

Bought a '07 GT convertible in January. I've already had both top cylinders leak, replaced them pretty easily. Now the top motor won't work. My top's down. In November, in Syracuse. I checked and the relays are good, and the cylinders are fine.

Question: Is it a safe bet that it's the top motor?
Also, can I purchase a top motor from another Mustang generation? Looking to save a bit of money.
Thanks for your time,

Dave Engel

• Sponsors (?)

You should be able to pull the top up by hand, it ain't easy and you have to be patient and go slow, I've done this on a couple verts I've owned, as far as the motors go, I don't know how interchangeable they are, you could check with a salvage yard or a ford dealer.

Thanks for the responses. I haven't been able to lift the hood manually. My wife and I were both pulling on it, it just won't move.

I checked the fuses, relays, the switch on the dash, when pushed, does send the windows down, but there is no movement on the top motor. Not a sound. I put in a new top motor...and still nothing. Any ideas what to try next? I'm stumped at this point, and would like to avoid bringing it to a mechanic with the top still down.

Can you hear the motor run?
If yes: it is low on fluid or air locked ( highly unlikely)
If no: you can appy power to the motor at the connector, should be two wires (at least it is on fox cars) put power to one wire at a time, be very careful, I think you can get to the motor through the trunk, keep appendages away from moving parts.
Have you checked for power at the fuse/relay?

Thanks for the responses. I haven't been able to lift the hood manually. My wife and I were both pulling on it, it just won't move.

I checked the fuses, relays, the switch on the dash, when pushed, does send the windows down, but there is no movement on the top motor. Not a sound. I put in a new top motor...and still nothing. Any ideas what to try next? I'm stumped at this point, and would like to avoid bringing it to a mechanic with the top still down.

I have a 2008 mustang convertible that the top quit working on. I took the rear seat out so I could get to the top motor. I drained all of the fluid out of the top motor and now I can manually put the top up and down. Hope this helps.