• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

Torque Boxes

  • Thread starter Thread starter ADub64
  • Start date Start date Aug 16, 2005
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
First Prev 2 of 2
J

JEE740

New Member
Oct 21, 2006
18
0
1
Apr 14, 2007
#21
  • Apr 14, 2007
  • #21
Torque box pic

Just to give another perspective, here's a pic showing the passenger side torque box at the time of it being installed on my 67 fastback. It was done at the same time as the other patch work you can see in the floors.



Chris
 
S

SCHOONER

New Member
Dec 16, 2004
69
0
0
Las Vegas, Nevada
May 10, 2007
#22
  • May 10, 2007
  • #22
REAR SEAT EXTENSION PIECE.

rhyno9 said:
The front torque boxes are welded between the front framerail and the inner rocker panel directly beneath the toeboard. Convertibles had them installed on both sides. 67 Coupes and fastbacks had them only on the driver's side until 1968 and up then they were installed on both sides.

They are a structural component used to prevent the unibody from twisting.
Below is a link to someone's web site that replaced/installed torque boxes and floors

http://www.nenny.com/floors/index.html
Click to expand...


Hey Rhyno9

What a GREAT SITE you posted. Boy, did that help me out on how i have too
replace my torque boxes on my '66 Convert.


I have to replace the REAR SEAT EXTENSION on both side. Where that little clip is that the back seat hooks-up too.
I believe that's what you call that piece of sheet metal: Rear Seat Extension

Being a newbie (as you might have guess) I'm not sure where to cut and re-install that piece of sheet metal for the back end of my floor pan

QUESTION(S)

Are there any picture sites out there, that i may learn HOW TOO replace those rear floor pan pieces ? I looked & came up empty

Thanks again for that great site.
GOD BLESS

Schooner

QUOTE__________________________
The more i surrender the more i win.
 

rhyno9

Founding Member
Oct 30, 2002
209
0
0
Oswego Illinnoying
May 10, 2007
#23
  • May 10, 2007
  • #23
SCHOONER said:
Hey Rhyno9

What a GREAT SITE you posted. Boy, did that help me out on how i have too
replace my torque boxes on my '66 Convert.


I have to replace the REAR SEAT EXTENSION on both side. Where that little clip is that the back seat hooks-up too.
I believe that's what you call that piece of sheet metal: Rear Seat Extension

Being a newbie (as you might have guess) I'm not sure where to cut and re-install that piece of sheet metal for the back end of my floor pan

QUESTION(S)

Are there any picture sites out there, that i may learn HOW TOO replace those rear floor pan pieces ? I looked & came up empty

Thanks again for that great site.
GOD BLESS

Schooner

QUOTE__________________________
The more i surrender the more i win.
Click to expand...

I used that site when I replaced my torque boxes also.

As for the seat extension I am not sure which piece you are talking about? A picture of the damaged part would help me to visualize.

RV
 
S

SCHOONER

New Member
Dec 16, 2004
69
0
0
Las Vegas, Nevada
May 10, 2007
#24
  • May 10, 2007
  • #24
rhyno9 said:
I used that site when I replaced my torque boxes also.

As for the seat extension I am not sure which piece you are talking about? A picture of the damaged part would help me to visualize.

RV
Click to expand...


My good man: Rhyno9

Damn I wish I could send you a pic but don't know how to do that.
(just like trying to put my car back together. Did a GREAT job taking it apart though)

Rhyno9: The best way I can explain what it looks like is this way;

When openning the passagers side on my '66 convert. You look directly to your left side. The piece of sheet metal that's rotten is the LAST PIECE that butts-up to the back of the wall of the back seat.

The secret here is: ITS THE PIECE THAT HAS THAT LITTLE BACK SEAT 'CLIP' MIG WELDED TOO IT ~ ON BOTH SIDES.

Sorry Rhyno9 that's the best I can do.

I appreciate you trying to help me.
GOD BLESS

Schooner

QUOTE______________________________
The only way to have a peaceful life is to surrender
but still hole on to your dignety~ AMEN
 

rhyno9

Founding Member
Oct 30, 2002
209
0
0
Oswego Illinnoying
May 10, 2007
#25
  • May 10, 2007
  • #25
The problem I am having is my current car is a fastback with a fold down seat. My previous stang was a coupe which I parted out (over 5 yrs ago) so I am sure I saw it but I just don't remember.
 
S

SCHOONER

New Member
Dec 16, 2004
69
0
0
Las Vegas, Nevada
May 10, 2007
#26
  • May 10, 2007
  • #26
rhyno9 said:
The problem I am having is my current car is a fastback with a fold down seat. My previous stang was a coupe which I parted out (over 5 yrs ago) so I am sure I saw it but I just don't remember.
Click to expand...

Hey Rhyno9

No problem, thanks for you help and interest anyway.

GOD BLESS

Schooner

QUOTE____________________________________
Be good to your fellow man you NEVER KNOW when disaster
MIGHT accur
 
S

SCHOONER

New Member
Dec 16, 2004
69
0
0
Las Vegas, Nevada
May 23, 2007
#27
  • May 23, 2007
  • #27
Hi Guy

First and formost what a GREAT job you did on your torque box.

I'm going thru the same thing replacing torque box, toe board & front floor pan.

With ALL those spot welds ( 100,000 of 'em . . . lol ) it seems. I remove part of the front floor pan 7in x 16in piece on the left side.

I cut it from both top and bottom of the car and trim it real close to the front frame rail. I was figuring would it be O.K. to leave the all the floor pan cover just the front frame rail so I don't have to cut-out the rest of those damn spot welds.

And hopefully place the new front floor pan over the frame rail. Its just the piece covering the frame rail like I said.

Tell what you think ? ? ?

Thank you
GOD BLESS

Schooner
 
S

SCHOONER

New Member
Dec 16, 2004
69
0
0
Las Vegas, Nevada
May 24, 2007
#28
  • May 24, 2007
  • #28
rhyno9 said:
The front torque boxes are welded between the front framerail and the inner rocker panel directly beneath the toeboard. Convertibles had them installed on both sides. 67 Coupes and fastbacks had them only on the driver's side until 1968 and up then they were installed on both sides.

They are a structural component used to prevent the unibody from twisting.
Below is a link to someone's web site that replaced/installed torque boxes and floors

http://www.nenny.com/floors/index.html
Click to expand...

Hey Rhyno9

Again, I looked at that site you posted on installing floors/toe boards/front floor pans/ on and on.

Very, very helpful for me.
Thanks for posting it guy
Schooner

QUOTE____________________________________________
The more " i " surrender the more " i " win
 
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
First Prev 2 of 2
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

68 vert where to start?
  • 67 blueberry
  • Jul 2, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
0
Views
107
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jul 2, 2026
67 blueberry
B
Subframe connector question
  • B0udreaux
  • Jan 27, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
20
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Feb 5, 2026
rednotch
F
Fox 1988 GT Lumbar controls not working
  • Fcortes795
  • Mar 6, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
156
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Mar 7, 2026
AeroCoupe
S
Best place to source power steering parts for a '67? (control valve, ram, hoses)
  • SophiaTatum
  • Jun 15, 2026
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Replies
2
Views
140
Classic Mustang Specific Tech Jun 18, 2026
SophiaTatum
S
Resolved Wiring electric fan
  • cbac89
  • Aug 29, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
161
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 30, 2026
cbac89
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?