torquing harmonic balancer

Coboose003

Feb 26, 2007
Olympia
I replaced my timing chain recently but while I was installing my harmonic balancer my crank rotated. I then read up on threads to see what i could do to keep it from turning anymore and tried putting it in park, reverse, 1, 2, and drive and also had the emergency brake on the whole time, but nothing changed. I am going to put the pulley on and check to see if all the pulleys are inline with each other with a long ruler. Ill post an update when i do it and if anyone has any ideas they would be much appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

Remove inspection cover on trans to access torque converter nuts, put a long socket on one of the converter nuts and turn crank slowly until the socket catches the trans or inspection plate opening and you should be good to go.

Just put 2 of the serpentine pulley bolts into the balancer and get an old tire iron and insert it between the bolts then tighten the balancer center bolt. Make sure you have enough of the bolts threads engaged or get a couple of longer bolts. Tighten the balancer in the clock-wise direction and hold the tire iron between the other two bolts to restrain the harmonic balancer from turning. It is very easy and works out w/o climbing under the car or having the ratchet fall off the torque convertor nuts etc. .... been doing it successfully for many years! Also, works in removing the harmonic balancer bolt ... just hold it between the bolts in the opposite direction.