traction leaf springs

keba

Sep 5, 2017
Have not posted in a while I'm looking for solutions for 67 coup 289 11.5 to 1 compression 500 lift 284 duration comp hyd. 3000 stall converter 4.86 to 1 9"tail gears no traction in 1st or second gears and I'm not up on what's out there for 5 leaf spring "stock" set up I've got 275x60x15 tucked under kyb shocks, got no wheel hop need some simple ways to stick it down trying to explain"'show" my 19 year old son there"s more than one way to "skin a cat"

Have no idea what the H.P. is 350 maybe pulls to 6400rpm

Thanks
Paul

• Sponsors (?)

No traction and wheel hop is controlled? I’d actually had a lot of ‘fun’ with this scenario over the last 2 years, lots of folks used to the more forgiving, current rear Coilspring Suspensions, Factory 3 links, are getting a dose of how precarious Leaf Spring Suspension can be, lol. .
Had 4 1/2 leafs on my 69’. Stock ride height, standard eye. Bought them from Mustangs Plus over 15 years ago. It launched great with the 4-1/2 when the car was an automatic, but after I swapped in the Toploader I had tons of wheel hop. Car had an Auburn Pro differential and not an open diff. .Cured it with some Ladder bars, went to​
Calvert style bars. I kept spending more and more money, was beginning to cut up a Classic. I’d backed off and started restoring Originality and found a Foxbody to Build...​
A lot of good Suspension Parts from the below, and also ‘Chassisworks’.​

Both sites have great products right up your alley. Theirs is listed as Total Control Products. I did not want to go with any sort of traction bars on my car, so i was stuck with spring upgrades and I didn’t really want to go to 5 leaf, so 4.5 Leaf ended up as the right choice for me, they’re solid, and allowed me to really dial in my launches...If not for you, there’s also 5 leaf setups..
Both sites have been around for a while, reputable & have many Suspension goodies... I’d setup my buddy’s most current 351C 68’. It was having issues like yours, cured by running an MP 4.5 leaf setup, adjustable Koni’s.
It’s around 400bhp., 3,400lbs.
Hope that helps, let me know if you need more info. Cheers! John

Reactions: 1 user
OK that's food for thought<my thinking is to go to a 4 leaf and a traction bar but Im not set on that Ide like to gain some more knowledge on eye let position and shackle types? Back of this thing just wont sit down.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Paul- Gotcha, won’t transfer her weight, squat, transfer & Hook, & as you’re running 4.86’s guessing not a DD (unless you Work a block away, lol). Been Racing down at Lebanon Valley, N.Y. since 16, now 46, am familiar with NHRA/IHRA Suspension guidelines in the respective Classes.. i Cage, Tub, Narrow, TubeFrame/Chassis fab, C&W Driveshafts, etc.,15y for Track Cars now. You’re going after the (4.86’s..660’ (?)) SS class, awesome if so- I’ll share the current/old trick combo’s of TRACK legal setup options & will certainly Hook you up... or, if a grocery getter- the ‘un-Restricted’ version(s) of the same..Just need a direction from which to start, and your exact current specific setup..
I do respect what you’re doing, time well spent with your Son- good to see! Took time to Exorcise out the tunnel vision and impulsivity from both of my Boys, then my Daughter (that was actually much easier, lol). She Races in the Pro-Mod.’s now. Whooped me. John