Tranny getting stuck in third and fourth

redneck15431

May 13, 2006
I've been having quite a bit of a problem with the tranny in my 91. It is a stock T-5 that I got rebuilt last year with only about 1500 miles on it. Needless to say that I', kinda pissed I'm having problems with it already but what can ya do? Complaining about it won't fix it..lol. Anyways I decided to tear it apart myself this time and see what the problem is.

The car keeps getting stuck in third and fourth gear ONLY when driving it. I can sit in my driveway with the car running and run through all my gears with no problems. It gets stuck in third gear more than fourth but the way I see it, it shouldn't be getting stuck in any gears at all. The problem is much less prominent when i shift out of third without the clutch. And when it does get stuck, I can pull it about halfway out of gear to where it "acts" like it's in neutral, but can't do anything else. It just gets in the center of the "H" pattern, or neutral enough to create slop in the shifter. The only way to get it out is to keep playing with it until it slips out.

So I tore the tranny apart only to conclude that everything looks perfect. The only thing I seen suspicious was the shaft that slides in the shift forks was a little nicked up on the 3-4 shift fork, so I sanded it smooth. The synchronizer assemblies seemed to be working ok. So I carefully checked other things, cleaned her up and put her back together. I put the transmission back in yesterday and took it for a ride only to find out the problem still exists. So now I'm clueless as to what could be wrong. I should have taken pictures to post on here but I didn't..lol. Anyways, do you guys have any thoughts as to what the problem might be?

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)