• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-

Tranny guys give some input on this little issue I have

  • Thread starter Thread starter 1987stangman
  • Start date Start date Mar 29, 2007

1987stangman

Member
Jul 12, 2006
684
24
19
Mar 29, 2007
#1
  • Mar 29, 2007
  • #1
So I am replacing the clutch in my 87' GT. I have changed clutches before just never in a Mustang. There is this one 15mm bolt that secures the tranny to the bellhousing that I just cant get loose. I feel really dumb. It's the top driverside one. Anyone have any good tips or ideas thats done this before??? I would have had this thing put back together for the time its taken me on this one ass of a bolt.
 

Quikstang

Founding Member
Mar 9, 2000
846
0
0
Orlando FL
Mar 29, 2007
#2
  • Mar 29, 2007
  • #2
I always have to use a short 3/8 drive socket, and then two extensionsabout 10 inches worth , and then a 3/8 to 1/4 adapter and my big ratchet. If that doesnt work, You could always just take the top bellhousing bolts off from the top, and then pull the tranny and bellhousing in one peice.
 

gunmetal5.0

New Member
May 10, 2006
144
0
0
Chico, CA
Mar 29, 2007
#3
  • Mar 29, 2007
  • #3
I got a battery powered impact wrench for like 25 bucks, got all the hard bolts loose for me including exhaust and it still works.
 

795.0pacecar

lover of pudgy polygamists
Jul 11, 2003
480
0
17
Senoia, GA
Mar 29, 2007
#4
  • Mar 29, 2007
  • #4
Quikstang said:
I always have to use a short 3/8 drive socket, and then two extensionsabout 10 inches worth , and then a 3/8 to 1/4 adapter and my big ratchet. If that doesnt work, You could always just take the top bellhousing bolts off from the top, and then pull the tranny and bellhousing in one peice.
Click to expand...

I normally do it this way with an impact gun, but if I cant for some reason, I'll use a swivel socket.
 

Foxfan88

My Grandpa has great wood.
Sep 13, 2004
2,487
4
0
Miami, Ok
Mar 29, 2007
#5
  • Mar 29, 2007
  • #5
the bolt u refer to is the hardest bolt for me too. a short socket with a swivel extension easily conquers it. if not, elbow grease and a wrench
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Cooling Jacket Pitting Idea's?
  • BoostedRed89gt
  • Aug 9, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
12
Views
261
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 17, 2026
Mustang5L5
P
2002 T5 transmission vibration issue
  • puffoo
  • Feb 22, 2026
  • SN95 V6 Mustang Tech
Replies
0
Views
234
SN95 V6 Mustang Tech Feb 22, 2026
puffoo
P
F
Fox 1990 Mustang GT 5.0 A9L – Engine suddenly shuts off but immediately restarts when key turned
  • FishermansFriend
  • Aug 9, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
16
Views
519
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 30, 2026
General karthief
T
Convertible A-pillar weatherstrip issues
  • thiefofcheese
  • Oct 24, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
402
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Nov 20, 2025
AeroCoupe
Z
Progress Thread zeth194 - New Guy on the Block
  • zeth194
  • Mar 19, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
10
Views
685
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Apr 26, 2026
LILCBRA
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?