Tranny woah's

MustangvertGT

Founding Member
Jul 17, 2002
Montebello, Cali
well since everything crashed i guess my threads are gone. Ok so here goes again. My tranny gave out. Stopped going into gear and when it would go in gear (after fighting with it), it would make a horrible crunching/houwling/squeeking sound. . So I purchased a used T5 off an 02 V6. A friend and I installed that, put everything back together (left belhousing and clutch components alone, nothign was touched!). We started the car and..........had the same problem as before!!! Yes, its used, so there is a possibility the 'new' tranny could also be damaged, but just incase, could there be something else causing this?? Also, I tried starting it the other day, and the car lurked forward AS IT CRANKED. Like if the clutch was engaged. I gave it no gas or nothing. Clutch was all the way in. I was told to get a new clutch cable, so i went ahead and got the MM clutch kit (quadrant, firewall adjuster, cable) and got that in. There is absolutely no slack in the cable, but it made no improvement what so ever. But my clutch pedal feels really nice, lol.

Still not goin in gear with 'new' tranny, new cable/quadrant/firewall adjuster, what gives?

I just oredered a new king cobra clutch, pilot bearing, throwout bearing,clutch release lever, and whatever else is in the clutch kit. Please throw in ur ideas on what you think is wrong. Could the 02 V6 tranny be messed up as well?? THANKS!!!

• Sponsors (?)

Yes it could be bad as well, they tend to get sold once they are messed up. It really sounds like the clutch is adjusted wrong.

"Also, I tried starting it the other day, and the car lurked forward AS IT CRANKED."

that should be a definite sign that the clutch is not releasing enough. try tightening it up about one turn at a time until it starts engaging at the correct pedal height and/or goes into gear. You should be able to do this at the firewall now.

You didn't knock the TOB off a little when you put your transmission back in did you? It might also be your TOB causing the hard engaging problems. They get wore down on the input shaft a little and sometimes they'll sit in that groove. Also where does your clutch pedal sit at? Most are about 2 inches above the brake pedal leaving just a little play in it.

just fixed this problem on my stang.. well heres what happened to me.. i couldnt shift at all it was sticky as heck comming outta gear and i could almost never get it into gear.. so i busted off the trans and found the some of the pressure plate bolts vibrated loose a bit.. torqued them back down with a better torque wrech (replaced the clutch my self 4 weeks ago had a crappy torque wrench though) and the thing shifts and runs amazingly now.. give it a try should fix your problems