Trans mount and motor mounts

steveb24

Nov 28, 2005
wilmington, DE
My trans mount must be gone, cause shes makin some serious rattling noises that just started a few days ago. i can really hear it after i turn the carr off.. cause it still rattles for a sec after.. With my l/t install coming up in a few weeks.. should i just buy new trans AND motor mounts? which brand? what material of a mount would be good for my setup and cams?

• Sponsors (?)

LT install requires a k member drop anyway, so wherever u have it done, they should throw the motor and trans mounts in for free. Energy Suspension has a good product, you'll want polyeurathane bushings (they come w/ most aftermarket kits anyway). I think I paid $110 for the trans + motor mounts. Very good quality. You'll notice vibrations much easier, but your car wont have that sloppy feeling of broken or worn mounts.

nice.. ill be doing the install too. Where are the trans mounts? i never even looked for them, after all the time ive spent under/ around/ over this car. Also, where did you buy that kit for 110? and one more.. where will you notice the vibrations now that their not being absorbed by the mounts as much? would this be a good thing for a car like mine with cams that shakes the motor pretty good?

I wonder how hard the motor mounts would be to install with the engine in and not dropping the k member?

I did mine last week. I had NO help though so it took me a little longer than expected, plus I had never done it before. The worst part is definitely removing the starter! I made a "how to" thread after I got done ...

Basically, you just disconnect the battery, remove the starter, loosen the nuts (3 that hold each mount to the engine and 1 that holds mount to crossmember), remove the large nut that holds each mount to the crossmember on each side, then place a jack with a block of wood under the oil pan (I used a piece of wood that covered most of the oil pan) and jack the engne until the studs come out of the holes. Then you finish removing the three nuts (each side that you previously loosened) holding the mounts to the motor ... and then slide the mount out .... Slide the new one in and bolt it up ... for each side. At least that's how I did it in my garage.

The trans mount is under the transmission. It has a bar that runs from one side of the frame to the other under the trans. Here's a pic from above my h-pipe but the green arrows indicate the mount.

p1240006copyys8.jpg

Hope that helps. :)

Attachments

• p1240006copyys8.jpg
    p1240006copyys8.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 52
I did mine last week. I had NO help though so it took me a little longer than expected, plus I had never done it before. The worst part is definitely removing the starter! I made a "how to" thread after I got done ...

Basically, you just disconnect the battery, remove the starter, loosen the nuts (3 that hold each mount to the engine and 1 that holds mount to crossmember), remove the large nut that holds each mount to the crossmember on each side, then place a jack with a block of wood under the oil pan (I used a piece of wood that covered most of the oil pan) and jack the engne until the studs come out of the holes. Then you finish removing the three nuts (each side that you previously loosened) holding the mounts to the motor ... and then slide the mount out .... Slide the new one in and bolt it up ... for each side. At least that's how I did it in my garage.

The trans mount is under the transmission. It has a bar that runs from one side of the frame to the other under the trans. Here's a pic from above my h-pipe but the green arrows indicate the mount.

p1240006copyys8.jpg

Hope that helps. :)

I have had my motor and trans out several times. I also left the top starter bolt out. I was just wondering if you could jack it up enough clear the motor mount bolts I also have longtubes now.

Attachments

• p1240006copyys8.jpg
    p1240006copyys8.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 53
dtoyna.. thanks so much man.. couldnt of asked for anything better. :nice: look like with the l/t install it shouldnt be outta my way at all to bolt the new mounts on.. and im guessing the trans is pretty simple since it sits right there.. and ill have the midpipe off. So where did u guys buy your mounts? im gonna go check summit but they have some crazy handling charges.. id like to get a kit incl each kind. thanks