Transmission Acting Up???

B.erazo712

Feb 6, 2015
So, this weekend my transmission(automatic) started making clunking noises when shifting gears. Another problem is when going from park/reverse or park/drive it makes this clicking noise when i slightly push the gas. I went out and bought Seafoam TransTune, and poured some into the transmission, and the clunking noise seemed to stop, so did the park/reverse. The clicking noise still remains for the park/drive. Last but not least, is when switching from 1st to 2nd gear it seems sluggish and makes the car stop having that acceleration feeling. Also around 1600 rpms on 2nd gear for a split second it sounds like im slamming down the gas and then go backs to normal and changes gears to 3rd. I'm expecting I'll have to rebuild my transmission, but hoping someone knew a quick fix? This is my daily driver, and was hoping i could manage to hold off till summer??? Oh btw i have a 90' AOD. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Check in this order

• what is your trans fluid level0 if low it will cause shifting problems
  • what color and smell is it- if old or burnt causes problems. most likely the filter needs to be changed too
  • is your TV cable adjusted properly- will cause shifting problems and can potentially fry an AOD if the line pressure too low
  • is the plastic TV bushing on your throttle body intact- if it is broken or missing- do not drive the car until you replace it

Don't put any more snake oil in your trans.. First thing I would do is change the fluid and filter with DEX/Mercon III= aout 8 quarts for draining the pan and filter. Do NOT get one of those trans flush jobs. They hook your car up to a machine and unless you know 100% that they flushed out all the crap from the last 100 cars that is what is going in your trans. Just drain and refill with fresh fluid and a new filter.

Best way to properly check the TV cable setting is with a pressure gauge connected to the test port on the trans. Don't quote me but I think at idle its 0-5 psi and its like 30-35 with the spacer installed. If you do not know what you are doing. TAKE IT TO A SHOP. You can fry an AOD in 10 miles
How to adjust your TV cable

Baumann Electronic Controls

Reactions: 1 user