Transmission Question

Guys need some help, I have spent the past two hours reading the many transmission threads out there and I have yet to get a clear answer. Here's my problem I have an 89 LX with a stock brog warner T5 in it and I have never had any issues with it up until now. I replaced the transmission fluid the other day because I had a leak at the rear seal, to make a long story short after replacing the seal and fluid I now get a grind when im shifting from 3rd to 4th? Not once did it grind ever until I replaced the fluid so could it be bad fluid? I used Dex III ATF and I swear as soon as I went for a test drive it started doing it. Could the fluid really have that much to do with it? Should I not be a cheapo and throw some Royal purple in there? Any suggestions guys I really dont want to damage the tranny if theres still hope. Thanks guys in advance

• Sponsors (?)

Guys need some help, I have spent the past two hours reading the many transmission threads out there and I have yet to get a clear answer. Here's my problem I have an 89 LX with a stock brog warner T5 in it and I have never had any issues with it up until now. I replaced the transmission fluid the other day because I had a leak at the rear seal, to make a long story short after replacing the seal and fluid I now get a grind when im shifting from 3rd to 4th? Not once did it grind ever until I replaced the fluid so could it be bad fluid? I used Dex III ATF and I swear as soon as I went for a test drive it started doing it. Could the fluid really have that much to do with it? Should I not be a cheapo and throw some Royal purple in there? Any suggestions guys I really dont want to damage the tranny if theres still hope. Thanks guys in advance

The regular ATF should be fine, did you get any debris out of the trans, how'd the fluid look? New fluid is more aggressive and will clean it out a little but shouldn't be a major issue. Make sure your fluid is up to proper level, and I would check the clutch adjustment and or shifter adjustment. Might just be a coincedence.

Most of the time guys see missed shifts and griding with a synthetic fluid in the upper rpms, once reason we only run the ATF Dextron III.