Transmission Replacement

shock4878

Jul 14, 2018
Alpha Centari
I tried using the search function and didn't have much luck. Are there any guides out there on how to swap an automatic transmission? I was driving home today using cruise control and my car starting banging the rev limiter and I realized it wouldn't shift into 3rd or 4th and would just rev in drive so I had it limp it home in 2nd. Pretty sure I need a transmission replacement but I've never done one before, how difficult can it be though? Is there anything I need to be aware of when buying a new transmission? I was thinking of going to a junkyard as this mustang already has 220k on it.

• Sponsors (?)

There are many videos if you Google "2000 Mustang gt auto trans replacement" in your regular browser. Another good resource are the repair manuals at most public libraries...mine keeps an updated set on the reference side, not for lend, so I take some money and copy the pages.

If buying from a salvage yard, get a warranty.

Auto transmission changeout is not that difficult...here are some tips learned the hard way:
--drain the fluid from the trans prior to attempting to remove it (or buy 50lbs of oil sorb and plan an extra two hour cleanup in your schedule)
--drain the fluid from the trans prior to removing the driveshaft (if the car is a little nose up you will get fluid out the tail shaft when the front yoke is removed)
--remember that even with the fluid drained, the torque converter still holds fluid...handle with care
--before unbolting the trans from the motor, remove all obstructions such as exhaust, crossmembers, etc
--before unbolting the trans from the motor, unbolt the torque converter from the flywheel/flexplate and slide the torque converter back towards the trans...it comes out with the trans...remove it and keep it level until you can lay it aside face/front down to not spill fluid
-----when going back together with it, make sure the torque converter is engaged and fully pushed into the new trans
--carefully remove all connection points from trans (shifter, elec connects, cooler tubes, etc) from trans before unbolting from motor
--tools to make it easier--rent a transmission jack...a 3ft 3/8 extension makes getting the bell housing bolts easier, but not essential...did I mention oil sorb?...4 jack stands tall enough to manage trans and jack if you are working on the ground

LOL...story about the oil sorb...>40yrs ago I was about to close the auto parts store where I worked and my buddy (another employee) called saying "can you come help and bring 50lbs of oil sorb?" He was attempting to put a stall converter and shift kit in his Chevelle, but had not taken into account the amount of fluid in the transmission, greatly overflowing his small pan and decorating his dad's pristine garage floor and driveway with an everbroadening pool of old trans fluid . A huge mess!

Reactions: 1 user
If you are considering using a salvage yard automatic transmission and are looking for a "plug and play" experience be fore warned that not all Ford 4R70W's are the same. Ford has made changes over the years.

Consider using car-part.com to search for the part in question. Pay attention to the model years of the cars that come up. Those should be the model years that will easily interchange to your model year car.

Just remember that one of the problems with junk yard transmission is....well......they could be junk.

I'm the kind of guy that HATES doing the same job twice. I would rather spend more or do more research up front in order to maximize my odds of doing the job right the first time (and one time). For that reason if this were my project I would at least research the cost of having your transmission bench over hauled by a local transmission repair shop.

Note, When an automatic transmission fails in service it's vital to clean the cooling lines and radiator. In fact many people will say that for the DIY'er it's easier to replace the radiator than attempt to flush it. Remember that any debris left in the lines will go straight back into the replacement transmission.

Reactions: 1 user