Transmission Suggestions Help

kenny21

New Member
Apr 18, 2007
10
0
0
Martinez, CA
Hi
I have 2 questions tonight. I have a 68 stang with a hipo 289. I'm looking to replace my tranny now but am stumped as to what would be a good one to go with. It originally came with a c4 automatic, but I would like to upgrade to a 4 speed automatic. Any suggestions?
Also I have a friend that has the same year and engine as mine and he originally had a manual c4, but would like to upgrade as well to a 4 or 5 speed. Is there a specific model that would work better with his or would a standard t-5 be good for him?
Thanks for any suggestions.
 
You want to switch the 3 speed C4 for a 4 speed AOD (Automatic with OverDrive). Stay away from the AODE (e for electronic) as it is a more difficult swap. You will find this tranny in late 80s/early 90s Mustangs/Thunderbirds and possibly LTDs/CrownVics.

This is a pretty straight forward swap and you should be able to find a few websites that will detail this swap (as well as searching this forum).

Good luck.