Transmission Swap

kenny93

Feb 16, 2016
I have been considering the t56 swap into my 76 cobra. I'm just curious if anybody here has done it yet I know one person on mustang ii network did but never mentioned what was involved in the swap

• Sponsors (?)

I have given it a lot of thought, and it's still on my long-term list of things I'd really like to do, but I think I'm going to switch to a T5 instead for now.

Seen your post on Thursday and didn't have time to reply, but I don't really have a lot to offer. I have swapped a T5 into my Cobra, and I would think that most of the same applies to a T56. First is finding a bell and flywheel that work within the confines of the II engine bay/transmission tunnel. I think that's half the battle right there. I can't say where the shifter will come up, so I don't know if you will have to clearance the hole like you would for a T5, but I imagine you would. I also assume that your drive shaft will need shortened, like the T5 swap. One other thing worth mentioning is your pinion angle. The T5 tail shaft sits a little higher and a little farther back than the stock transmission it replaces necessitating a slight modification to the pinion angle. There are wedges available to tilt your axle to obtain the correct angle vs. cutting and re-welding the perches. I also assume that a T56 will require some attention in this area. I hope this helps a little though I know it probably doesn't help as much as you were hoping.....

Reactions: 1 user
I have been doing alot of research on it even though right now im just at the body work point in my project but it will be getting fresh paint soon and I'm gonna drive it for the remainder of the year with the four speed and take some time to gather parts and hopefully next winter I will be able to try the six speed swap. I will also be building a efi 5.0 to put in it and going turbo. Along with a fox 8.8 swap

Reactions: 1 user
reviving an old thread, hopefully youre still here.

Kenny, im looking to do a trans swap (i have no idea what i want yet) also and would love to know the details/parts list of your build.