Transmission

Good afternoon,

I'm sure this is a rhetorical question, but, I'm gonna go ahead and ask it. I recently purchased a 1998 GT 4.6 automatic and was told that it had torque converter issues. Due to the cost, I was getting a car that ran (not drove) I really was not too concerned with it and I still am not. The question I have is is it really a torque converter issue. I can put the car in all forward gear with or without the overdrive button pressed and it will just rev. When you first initially put it in gear it will idle up like it wants to but will do nothing afterward. If I press the break and rev it does nothing. If I just rev it does nothing. However, if I put it in reverse and rev it, it will go in gear and will stay in gear. I can drive it all day in reverse until I come to a stop and the RPM's go down to idle. I'm no expert in transmissions but it doesn't sound like a torque converter to me. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

There’s a little box on the bottom of the transmission. I forget what it’s called but it’s the brain of the transmission. It works with pressure and tranny fluid. When it gets clogged you lose gears. Could be that yours is clogged up but still letting the trans into reverse.