Tremec 3650 fluid capacity concern!

camon

Sep 19, 2005
Hey all (need some quick input if possible)!

I also posted this in my old thread titled "Tremec 3650 Fluid "! Just didn't know if it would get seen as quick as a new thread!

I just got done doing a tranny fluid change on my TR3650.
I ended up going with GM Synchromesh Penzoil brand #123453??, allot of people swear by it so I thought what the heck...."I'll give it as shot"!

Ok So I Drained the old fluid out (via drain plug). I also removed the fill plug located above drain plug on Passenger side (Didn't fill from it though....went through shifter)!

Ok my reason for posting is......
I have heard that 3.2 quarts are used to fill the trans.
Some say add fluid until it comes out the fill hole, others say fill slowly until you can feel the fluid by sticking your finger in the fill hole!

Well I poured 3-1/2 bottles of penzoil syncho in the trans and no fluid came out the fill hole, nor when I checked it could I feel the level by sticking my finger in the fill hole. I stopped at 3-1/2 bottles because I didn't want to over fill the trans!

I haven't driven the car much (about 3 miles) and it seems to be shifting fine and sounds about the same as before the change (no weird noises). I just want to verify with you guys that I have put enough in (don't want to blow the tranny on my 50 mile commute to and from work Monday)!

What do you guys think......add more and let it as is??????

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the quick reply!!!

I believe they are! I think I seen 1 US Quart marked on the bottom of the bottles (tall plastic yellow Pennzoil bottle...looks like gear oil bottles).

I may take a trip back down to the garage in an hour or so and double check!

Just seemed weird that I couldn't feel the fuild with my finger (maybe I couldn't stick my finger in the hole far enough to feel it).
I had the car jacked up from both ends and fairly level (maybe slooping front slightly)!

Thanks again!

And the confusion continues!

Well according to that Trinity GT....I possibly over filled it, because I used 3-1/2 quarts (3-1/2 of the tall yellow Pennzoil squeeze bottles).

I have never in my life seen a tranny like this!
How can a company sell you car and not even know what to put in, or how much (their are like 4 different capacities floating around the net...and that's just what I seen)! I love this car, but this tranny is a weird one!

Anyone else on the subject...I went through this same hassle before buying the fluid and putting in it (about 5 hours of research to findout what to use)!

CRAZY!!!!!!

Thanks Trinity GT!!!!!!

Well I went back down to the garage and re-check it!

I used a mixing straw in the fill hole to find the level. It's about an inch or so from the bottom of the hole (I guess my finger just could bend far enough to feel the level...it is a real tight fit under their)!

I rechecked the pennzoil containers aswell. They are quart containers and I used 3 full ones and the 4th has slightly over half left in it (So I believe i'm fine). I will keep my eye on it for a week or so then forget it!!!!!

The other thing I don't understand (I was thinking about it while at the garage). Some suggest to fill til it comes out the fill hole. If this is true, how did ford squeeze 4 quarts in it from factory (I believe it was 4). If the fluid runs out the hole, wouldn't that mean the tranny always only held 3.2 quarts? I DON'T GET IT?????? :shrug:

Yeah these trannies are real pieces of work!!!!!
Eveyone suggests something different (from fluid type to use, to capacity)!
Pretty bad when Ford and Tremec can't even agree on what fluid to put in this tranny. I think eveyone with the 3650 should be getting brand new transmissions on either Ford or Tremecs dime (you know there is a problem when both say something different, and the customer has to spend 5 hours learning what type of fluid to use, and how much, and even that....most don't agree)! I have changed transmission fluids in manuals and automatics multiple times in my life and they are as easy as changing motor oil, unless you have a 3650!!

Well thanks again guys, and have a great night!!

Buy 4 quarts. When the 4th one starts going in, it will start leaking out the fill hole. Wait til it stops leaking out, wipe it down, and put the plug in. You're done.