Tremec 3650 TSB results

SLY GT

Oct 5, 2005
I am interested in hearing from those who have had the TSB done to their Tremec 3650.
I have a 02/GT with 18 K on the odometer. This is the first winter in the North East that I have had the car. I bought it last April from the local dealer with 15,900 miles on it. I have an extended warranty to 48,000 miles and April 2008. Per Tremec’s Tech line instructions, I drained the tranny last summer and put 3.2 qts. of regular Dexron 3 Atf.
The tranny has been fine except it is a bit notchy. But no clash, grind or jump out of gear. However, now that it is cold out (10 degrees, etc) it will grind 2nd gear if I don’t granny shift for the first few minutes until it warms up. If I go easy and say shift to 2nd real early when it is cold and not wind it out it will be fine. But if I don’t baby it in the first 5 or 10 minutes it will grind. So I take it easy and it doesn’t grind. I could get the TSB done but I am reluctant to have the dealer tear into it because I am afraid they will screw it up or screw up something else. Also I don’t know if it will get much better than it is. Should I wait till next winter? Should I keep it the way it is? The car can be put back to stock in one afternoon. Just looking for opinions from those who have had the TSB done and drive in cold climates. PS: I know some people have used Syncromesh Synthetic blend ATF with friction modifier but Tremec says not to use it as it will dissolve the adhesive on the fiber backing on the blocker rings???? Anyone using this stuff long term?

• Sponsors (?)

Help please tell me about the TSB's on the t3650. What is it and do you have to pay for it?:shrug: My transmission is grinding in 3rd as well as a few other things happening with it. Any information would be great. Thanks,

I purchased my car with 3k miles on it last year, got the TSB done around 10k miles earlier this year and the grind was gone. Unfortunately the grind came back about 2 weeks ago. So i guess I put about 8k-9k miles on the fix. Hope fully the tranny just blows before my warranty runs out lol.

Oh and Falconguy im sure I have the worste dealership in the world. They told me they cant fix an issue I am having because they don't know what it is......... even after I verified the problem with the shop foreman in my pass seat.

Cobra3992 follow this link... http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=328655

wht03GT said:
I purchased my car with 3k miles on it last year, got the TSB done around 10k miles earlier this year and the grind was gone. Unfortunately the grind came back about 2 weeks ago. So i guess I put about 8k-9k miles on the fix. Hope fully the tranny just blows before my warranty runs out lol.

Oh and Falconguy im sure I have the worste dealership in the world. They told me they cant fix an issue I am having because they don't know what it is......... even after I verified the problem with the shop foreman in my pass seat.

Cobra3992 follow this link... http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=328655

I surely hope not

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=602554 :(

It seems like a percentage of people who have had the TSB done see the problem return. Mine tranny is fine when the car is warmed up for 5 minutes. It is just that first shift from first to second that needs to be babied or else it will crunch. If I take it easy the first few shifts I have no problem except that it is notchy. Soooo, I feel that maybe I should put up with the peculiarities of the tranny instead of having them rip it apart. For those who had it done, how bad was your shifting before?

My shift was a hard grind, you could hear the gears. Now it just seem to be a vibration after the fix. But like you said if you granny shift it for a few min all is good. Although mine does do it when the car is warm sometimes.

wht03GT said:
My shift was a hard grind, you could hear the gears. Now it just seem to be a vibration after the fix. But like you said if you granny shift it for a few min all is good. Although mine does do it when the car is warm sometimes.

Good description. Mine is fine when warm. I think I will wait as I have 2 more years and 30,000 miles left on my extended warranty from Ford. Quess I can go to the track next summer and not worry too much about the trans!:D

Had mine done when the car was about a year old or so, maybe around 4,000 miles. Also replaced the clutch quadrant and cable, and installed the MGW shifter. Shifter is great, no clutch issues, trans is still tempermental, slightly better but not perfect...and the car is babied. AARP driver, ya know?

So...just to dumb it down for me a little...I have an 04 with a little less than year on my warranty. I've just started to notice that with the really cold weather, it doesn't like shifting from 1st to 2nd...takes some effort and I've heard the gear grind sound the first or second time I shift until warm. Actually...once warm, the tranny seems to like speed shifting at higher rpms...when I granny shift it, sometimes it clunks or feels notchy.

So is this what the TSB is for? Can someone explain exactly what they do to address the TSB? I wanna put a MGW shifter on...but not before I get this taken care of so they don't try to blame the shifter.

DocG2828 said:
So...just to dumb it down for me a little...I have an 04 with a little less than year on my warranty. I've just started to notice that with the really cold weather, it doesn't like shifting from 1st to 2nd...takes some effort and I've heard the gear grind sound the first or second time I shift until warm. Actually...once warm, the tranny seems to like speed shifting at higher rpms...when I granny shift it, sometimes it clunks or feels notchy.

So is this what the TSB is for? Can someone explain exactly what they do to address the TSB? I wanna put a MGW shifter on...but not before I get this taken care of so they don't try to blame the shifter.

I'd take it in if I were you and say there is a TSB about it. They should fix it. Then put on the MGW.