Tremec and the 65 Mustang

D Durden

DEEP FAT FRY
Founding Member
Mar 9, 2000
Okay, I need your help here, guys. I'm getting some work done on my '65. Texas has a friggin' inspection, and I'm getting a bunch of little stuff done.

I'm at a reputable "Restoration/Repair" place, and they were doing some impressive things when I was in there. I'm comfortable with their quality.

We talked about doing some other things, and one of them was to replace my toploader (needs a rebuild BAD) with a Tremec TKO. Eh, I like the idea, so I asked for a quote. The head guy came back with $6,500 for parts and another $1,000 for labor. In my heart, I'm thinking close to $10k to put a new transmission in my car is a bit much, BUT I DON'T KNOW . . . so I put it to the team here . . . what's a reasonable price to put a Tremec TKO in a '65 with them supplying all the parts?

Thanks Team!

• Sponsors (?)

A TKO runs $3000 new or so(or used to anyway). Depending on the clutch actuation parts you choose(cable, hydraulic, upgraded Z-bar) it could be another $1000 or so, maybe a few hundred more if using a custom adapter plate or bellhousing. As for labor...$1000 seems fair(for average shop pricing) depending on which kit they are using. Then you have to add in other parts like clutch, driveshaft, etc etc...all these things cost quite a bit from big name suppliers. $7500 is on the high side...but being brand new/no shopping around prices, its not all that surprising. That isn't to say you cant do it cheaper. If I were you, I would collect the parts as I could and just take everything to them for the install if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself. For example, you could probably find a used TKO in the $2000 range(but if there is any part you want new its the trans itself), you could buy the clutch from a local clutch shop instead of a big name dealer like Centerforce(for example, at my local clutch shop I can buy a an entire clutch, with disc, pressure plate, TOB and pilot bearing for a little over $100 and be out the door under $200 by the time they surface my flywheel, etc). My local driveshaft shop charges me about $80 to shorten an existing driveshaft. I could put together a hydraulic clutch actuation setup for $300 or so, etc etc etc...in other words, if you spent your time you could probably accomplish this on your own for about $4500 with a new transmission, but not much less.

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks for the great response. I've found TKO's on sale online new for $2,600 . . . so I figure another $200 to $500 for shipping. I found a "TKO Kit" for a vintage Mustang, and it was about $4,000, and got excited. The gigantic "but" here is that's $4,000 for an installation kit, but there's no clutch kit, bellhousing, shifter, blah blah blah . . . so there's probably $1,500 worth of stuff not in the kit I'd need, anyway. The more I dig in, the more "ok" the $6,500 is. And I'm assuming they're going to use premium parts, so there's that. I'll get receipts for all that jazz.

I'll keep you guys posted on what I do . . .

Reactions: 1 users
Well, here's the latest update . . . LOL . . . :

1590253359668.png

Reactions: 1 user
Okay, long time before an update, but here goes . . .

The transmission works great . . . no problems. It's REALLY WEIRD having a 5th gear in my girl. I got on the interstate, cruised up to 3k RPMs and relaxed . . . and then I remembered I have another gear. Wow . . . dropped to 1,800 and just cruised.

We did some other work, and I'm not 100% with it. The brakes are BETTER, but still not what I think they should be. And I'm still looking for "the right" starter. Sheesh . . . it never ends. LOL!

She's home and comfy for the winter. When it STARTS to look decent, I'm going to do something about the starter.

Anyway, if anything changes, I'll let the team know.

BTW, the shifter works okay, but there's tons of play. Recommend a better aftermarket shifter??

Okay, long time before an update, but here goes . . .

The transmission works great . . . no problems. It's REALLY WEIRD having a 5th gear in my girl. I got on the interstate, cruised up to 3k RPMs and relaxed . . . and then I remembered I have another gear. Wow . . . dropped to 1,800 and just cruised.

We did some other work, and I'm not 100% with it. The brakes are BETTER, but still not what I think they should be. And I'm still looking for "the right" starter. Sheesh . . . it never ends. LOL!

She's home and comfy for the winter. When it STARTS to look decent, I'm going to do something about the starter.

Anyway, if anything changes, I'll let the team know.

BTW, the shifter works okay, but there's tons of play. Recommend a better aftermarket shifter??

What rear end gear ratio are you running out of curiosity? And whats the 5th gear ratio in the TKO?