Tremec TKX 5-spd

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Interestinh new trans.

It’s almost like a hybrid T5 and TKO. Weighs 95lb but rated at 600 ft-lbs, and smaller than the 3550/tko family.

I think it’s $2750

21ED97FC-3E79-45B1-B271-196A74BEEC31.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Holy crap what timing, i was just looking into getting a 600 and whether i should buy a built one or parts and build it myself....looks like this wins, triple-cone syncros from the magnum, same bell and yoke as a tko (i just ordered a qt bell literally yesterday and supposed to be here tomorrow), and only a $200 premium from a 600 from what i can tell.

carbon synchros, brass shift pads and a modified shift lug for a 600 is $200 plus, parts only, at least libertys sells them with those mods already done for 2830 (was going to see what hanlon charges for it, but seem moot now?). seems like a done deal for an entirely better synchro system vs just trying to patch up the same design used since the 60's (or earlier).

the compactness is nice (especially the tailhousing) but at least for us fox guys that wasnt really ever an issue, the shifting was the real pita.

I read it has a bearing package similar to the t56 as well to aid in the shifting issues and take the load better

I was debating a tko vs an Astro t5 and was leaning t5 due to the heft of the tko. This makes another viable option, and tbh I’d rather just go tkx.

if only it was a 6-spd

Reactions: 1 users
6 gears is more of a novelty to me. I’m sure there are some pros, but for my use it would be to brag I have 6 gears.

really want to see how this new trans does. At some point I may want to upgrade my stock t5 and I didn’t want a tko at all. I may consider the tkx depending on feedback

I still need a clutch (it needs either an rxt or a long style, which are both 900-1000+). Hopefully can swing that in the next week or two and be able to install over christmas, maybe thanksgiving if i get both a shipping confirmation and impatient enough by early next week. So should be able to report some good news by the new year.

Btw, this is only being done now because the motors out after grinding the wheel off a lifter (thats what i get for trying to run a solid on the street :rolleyes: ). Already rebuilt the 4r once and still cant get it to stay cool with two aux coolers as well as the cooler in the rad, which would only be worse with a real converter in it. Also doing a hydroboost swap with 98+pedals so its going to get very interesting.

For those of you more knowledgeable about different transmission types, what would be needed to
bolt this in a fox ?
Just curious for future reference .

i believe it’s meant to be a tko replacement, using same bell, driveshaft and x member. No idea about clutch requirements though.

i imagine shortly well start seeing prepackaged conversion kits like we do for the t-56 and tko.

this might give you a rough idea.

bellhousing, same one as tko. quick time makes a steel sfi-rated one, or anything for a 4-speed toploader works.

there is a 10-spline version that can use a stock-replacement clutch, but a 26-spline is really recommended. any 10-spline clutch these days usually has a 26-spline version for the same cost. myriad of options based on power and use, take your pick.

31-spline yoke, i just bought this one for 2/3 the cost of frpp dont know for sure if itll work https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sdh-2-3-6041x

you can use the stock crossmember and mount, just break the tube tacks and slide it to where it needs to be.

would do new pilot and throwout bearings while you're in there for preventative maintence.

really not too bad honestly, the original 3550 was pretty much designed for the fox/sn95 chassis and this is just an evolution of it (soul-wise) with some modern upgrades from the 6060/magnum.

Reactions: 1 user