tremec tranny and 390 engine

bishop1911

Apr 11, 2005
I would like to know if anyone has a tremec 500 or 600 with a 390 big block engine. Also, I want to see if they were able to install this without modifying the tunnel or metal of the car. I was told it would never fit without modifying something metalwise by one person. But I also know someone who put one in a 351 windsor car and used TCP motor mounts and said it lined up perfectly. I want to know if anyone has used this with a big block and not had to modify. Also, what would I need to make it work? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Subscribing. I'd like to know as well. I have a 67 Fastback with a 428 and I want to swap to a TKO 600, but I want to be able to keep the console. Keisler sells a kit that they say requires "minor tunnel modification" but still allows you to keep the console if you hve one. Kinda high priced but might be worth it if it fits as claimed.

I too, have been looking into this. The problems seem to be keeping correct driveline angles.
As far as the Keisler kit, the transmission itself is slightly modified to fit (the shifter location and some grinding on the case), and the tunnel brace must have a good section cut out at the top.
I have also heard that the use of the TCP motor mounts that move the engine down about 1" and have about a 1/2 " of side/side, forward/backward adjustment also help in keeping the driveline angles correct. I have not heard of any other side effects from lowering the engine so these might also be a good option. Probably would be a lot stronger than the stock mounts also.
Any other input would be welcome as I am sure there are more than a few of us out there that would like to get some cruising mileage out of the ole big block.