Trick Flow STAGE 1. Do I need anything else???

black95gts5.0

Jun 16, 2005
I want to put in a Trick Flow stage 1 cam with ported factory heads and an intake manifold setup, do I have to chage anything else?? like my lifters or can I use all of my factory parts?? puting together tonight?? help is appreciated. Also would you change the timing chain or is the stock unit strong enough?
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

humm an intake considering that the tfs stage 1 cam is a lil more upper rpm range than your stocker. I have that cam now and i know the cobra intake will handle it but the stock 5.0ho intake dies out too early for that cam.

Precautionary items to replace during a pushrod camshaft swap include timing chain/gears, lifters and balancer. I would opt for a timing chain swap, as your other components are probably fine. You MUST get the TFS valve springs (or equivalent). I had springs on my GT-40P's that were supposed to handle the lift, but they failed at 5400rpm.

Stage 2 is where you need the springs, not stage one. You can reuse your lifters and get away with it. Changing the timing chain is almost a must, and while you are there you might as well get a new balancer. I haven't heard of too many ppl with a motor around 65,000 having to change their lifters, however, make sure that they go in the exact order and way that they came out!

Sean

ive heard differently with almost any cam to change your springs as the stock ones pretty much suck, and float at 5500rpm. I thought that was one of the reasons besides no airflow to shift before redline on our cars.... I would probably change them just to be on the safe side

Mustang95GTS said:
Stage 2 is where you need the springs, not stage one. You can reuse your lifters and get away with it. Changing the timing chain is almost a must, and while you are there you might as well get a new balancer. I haven't heard of too many ppl with a motor around 65,000 having to change their lifters, however, make sure that they go in the exact order and way that they came out!

Sean

I can vouch for the lifter problems. My HCI swap was performed at 65,000 miles. At 71,000, I now have a lifter going out. I would have changed them out before, but I could not afford it. As for the valve springs, you cannot use stock ones. I have done more HCI swaps on 5.0 mustangs than I care to remember. The few people who, for whatever reason, ran stock valve springs, ALL had valve float problems. Yes, this all occured with the stage 1 TFS cam. As the stock springs allow valve float with the factory cam, any Ford tech or engineer will tell you that if you install ANY aftermarket cam, or 1.7 roller rockers, you need stiffer, aftermarket springs.

loud 95 said:
I can vouch for the lifter problems. My HCI swap was performed at 65,000 miles. At 71,000, I now have a lifter going out. I would have changed them out before, but I could not afford it. As for the valve springs, you cannot use stock ones. I have done more HCI swaps on 5.0 mustangs than I care to remember. The few people who, for whatever reason, ran stock valve springs, ALL had valve float problems. Yes, this all occured with the stage 1 TFS cam. As the stock springs allow valve float with the factory cam, any Ford tech or engineer will tell you that if you install ANY aftermarket cam, or 1.7 roller rockers, you need stiffer, aftermarket springs.

pretty much what i would say. most on here would say to reuse the stock lifters, but for the price of new lifters it is really not wise to do especially if you are installing stiffer springs. stiffer springs=more pressure on the lifter=increased wear and chance of failure. there are some things that i will cheap out, the inside of my engine is NOT one of those things.