Trick Flow Stage 1 Install. Noises In The Valve Covers??

Hey guys. It’s kind of a long story but here goes. I need some help real bad. There is a link to how the car sounds below. I hope it works.

So I bought my first Fox. It has GT40 heads and intake on it but the previous owner didn’t take care of it. So I get the urge to clean it up. I pull a ton of stuff off of the engine to repaint, wipe off, replace, etc with the heads being part of it, I repainted them and decided since all of this was off I would swap the cam out. I went with the TFS1 and some new Ford Racing lifters. I read that the stock push rods would work. 6.250” so I put them back in. For budget reasons I put the stock rockers back on and torqued to spec.
After getting the car put back together and distributor in the right spot she fired right up. But there is a terrible clinging and clanging coming from the valve covers. Plus the car idles like it is stock. No lope at all! I know the timing is a little off but would that make it idle like a stock car?

Please help. I know I know, I should have verified the push rod length but I have no idea on how to do that with stock pedestal rockers.

Thank you.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ogt2mft2jp75ij3/Tfs1.mov?dl=0

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Need to check pushrod length with any cam change.
Unfortunately "reading" that the stock pushrods will work is not the way to go,
would have been easy to measure for length when you had the intake off.
Do your GT40 heads use a stud mount rocker or stock style bolt down?

Need to check pushrod length with any cam change.
Unfortunately "reading" that the stock pushrods will work is not the way to go,
would have been easy to measure for length when you had the intake off.
Do your GT40 heads use a stud mount rocker or stock style bolt down?
Were you able to view the video? These are stock bolt down style. When torquing them I have read 2 different ways:
One is the adjust each piston to TDC when both valves are closed and torque down both.
The other is watch each valve set and when one starts to open, torque the other one down.

These were from older posts on this site and Corral. Before 2010.

Haven't done pedestal style rockers in a while but procedure sounds right, they are a little more forgiving.
I could see the video and given the recent work to the engine it sure seem like you may have the wrong length pushrods.
You may also be able to shim the rockers as this can be done with pedestal style.
Like I said I haven't messed with pedestal rockers in a while so my suggestion would be to do a little
research on checking p.r. length and shimming for bolt down rockers.