Trick flow top end and SN95

frcefedlx

Dec 6, 2004
I am coming from a foxbody background and have a few questions. I have a top end kit off my now deceased LX I am going to put on my 94 cobra and after doing a few searches I am puzzled about a few things. I see a 3/8" spacer is required or at least recomended as well as an adaptor for egr(is this the one 5.0 resto recomends for typhoon intake?) Is this because of elbow on intake. Will stock valve covers fit or should I use the cast Trick Flow ones and are stock VC gaskets reusable? I thought about retaining Cobra intake, is there more performance to be had out of the trick flow one instead? I plan to retain the 24"s at least until the charger finds its way into the budget.
I figure I need Elbow, spacer, Egr adaptor as well as gaskets and usuall misc. items. Anything I should be aware of in reference to differences from foxbody.
I appreciate any help and thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I had to use the 3/8 spacer b/c the egr hit the valve cover....I had to use the TF valve covers....stockers would not fit.........coming from the fox beware the EEC in our years....prepare for a tune after some mods........nothing to fear though.......good luck with the installs...

I saw you talk about a Cobra, Typhoon, and TFS intake so I kinda got lost.

I run an Edel RPM which is the same as the Typhoon.

I used the following with no spacer

Fox vc's ... my stud Scorpion's are kinda big
Edel elbow ... don't use the Edel ... TFS flows better

From what I can tell ... the bottom of Edel intakes sits just a bit higher than the other intakes you see out there.

Most of the time ... I see peeps who use Cobra & TFS intakes use a spacer :shrug:

Grady

The EGR adaptor is necessary when you use the spacer. The TF VC's are necessary b/c stock VC's will not clear roller rockers. The taller VC's necessitate the spacer due to EGR and IAC valve hitting the VC's.

frcefedlx said:
Did you use an adaptor to make up the difference for EGR tube.
Ha......this was before I found that 50 resto made one.......we took the old one and cut it........welded and adapted a piece into it to add length and grinded it and cleaned it up.......works fine......I just did not want to delete any egr/smog etc..........

Quote"You planning on "fabbin'" that A trim onto this set up?????"

I plan on getting an S-trim or Novi kit designed around the Cobra. After dealing with the remains of the other car I just decided to sell off most of the good parts, and having a wife, she made off with alot of the funds anyway so that means gradual modifications on this car much like the last.

quote"I saw you talk about a Cobra, Typhoon, and TFS intake so I kinda got lost."
I would like to retain the Cobra intake but if I leave to much power on the table I will run the Trick Flow. I will need to get the elbow though. I refered to the Typhoon intake because Late Model references it as a must have with that intake and I am curious if this would make up the difference running a 3/8" spacer with the TFS intake.
So what I understand is with the TFS valve covers, or taller ones, I must use the spacer, with the spacer I must make the EGR tube Longer so the adaptor will take care of that. I am guessing even with the Cobra intake a spacer will have to be used. For being the same motor it sure is different. Now I just hope the Stage one cam doesn't give my car fits. Are these cars really that much different than the foxes

From what I've learned through the great guys on here and trial and error is that you just need to do a little more tuning.......I have the Track heat HCI set up and once tuned I don't have any negative things to say.....I like the set up.........and these guys say that the stage 1 is a "mild" cam .................
I don't see you having any issues that these good folks can't help ya with...

Not to high jack this thread or anything, but i did this kit on my 95. I used the spacer becausei read it was needed. However, i deleted the egr. Was the spacer need to allow room for the egr? If so, could i do without the spacer and not have any other fitment issues. As it is right now, i had to remove the hood blanket and grind the hood down a bit, but i still think the intake is hitting. Basically if i could get away without using the spacer, i would be happier. Thanks!

I've been "told" you can cap delete the egr and use a tuning device to cancel the CEL.....I know I tried the intake without the spacer and cracked the VC and had to get another one....:nonono: There are a few peeps on here.....I don't remember who.....but I have seen replies where guys have "ground" down a corner of the egr for fitment.......I run the 3/8 spacer and my upper touches the blanket but it's still on......

Your more than likely gonna have to run the spacer if you are using the TFS vc's - the IAC on the throttle body on my car just barely clears with the spacer. Mine does not rub the hood with the spacer :shrug:

Mine is definately rubbing the hood. I guess that's just an excuse to get a cobra r hood. Are there any drawbacs from completely deleting the egr. I mean it has been plugged since i got the headers but now its tripping a cel because of he sensor not being plugged in. I have a diablo chip that i need to get burnt with the egr off. that should do it!

Quote "Your more than likely gonna have to run the spacer if you are using the TFS vc's "

Are there valve covers I do not need the spacer for? I Am going to stay with the Cobra Intake unless there is good reason not to so I am seeing the key elements to this swap being successfull are the spacer and adator for egr and hope it clears the hood.

Does some one make a 3\8" spacer for the Cobra intake or will it clear hood with the 1\2" one from Ford Racing. I am assuming Cobra intake needs to be spaced for valve cover clearance with TFS heads and vc's and only spacer I have seen is 1\2". Never mind I see BBK(yuck) makes one.