Trickflow intake on/car can't start!

I took the intake off to check out if my lifter was bad. I put everything back together again with some help from the guys on the forums with the vacuum lines and the car can't start.

When i turn the key the car trys to start for about 4sec and just dies no power no nothing. I'm thinking it might be the distributer, i might have put it in the wrong way. I read that before you pull it out make sure its facing #1 cylinder. I didn't do that but i marked where it was facing, and it was facing #7. I'm not sure if it makes a difference but let me know what you guys think?

• Sponsors (?)

Really just sounds like your battery is dead or starter issues? Doesn't sound like anything that an intake install should cause but being "in there" might have loosened a bad connection....or maybe you just left the interior light on the whole time and the battery drained?

If you did the dist wrong it would turn over but not start or would pop at you.. to not turn over indicates something electrical

If your distributor was install incorrectly it should be backfiring and popping. It typically won't cause the car to just not start without causing it to backfire.

if you mark you Distributor, remove it and don't move the engine, it should drop right back in regardless of where you marked it. If you're still questioning it. Roll it engine over to top dead center on firing stroke and make sure the rotor is pointed at #1.

if you turned the engine your Dis isn't in the right spot. The housing might line up where it was but the rotor may have turned.

Roll the engine over to TDC firing stroke on #1 cylinder and check it. That will tell you for sure.

Yes, pull your #1 spark plug and with your finger over the plug hole turn the engine (with a socket on the crank bolt) when you feel pressure pushing out on your finger then you are on the compression stroke of that cylinder. Now line your timing pointer up with "0"on the dampner. Drop your dizzy in with the rotor pointing at cylinder # 1 and your good. At this point you can eliminate timing as your issue.

Yes, pull your #1 spark plug and with your finger over the plug hole turn the engine (with a socket on the crank bolt) when you feel pressure pushing out on your finger then you are on the compression stroke of that cylinder. Now line your timing pointer up with "0"on the dampner. Drop your dizzy in with the rotor pointing at cylinder # 1 and your good. At this point you can eliminate timing as your issue.

If you have a buddy to help you. You can bump the key until it blows air out of the hole. It will blow harder than a wrench and a socket on the crank. Then move it to the mark on the dampner. :nice:

Just to clarify if you are totally new to the "pointing at cylinder one"..... they mean pointing at the post in the dizzy cap that goes to the number one cylinder plug. One might be surprised at how many people don't get this part of it.

Also, check your plug wires to make sure they are in the correct order. :nice:

Just to clarify if you are totally new to the "pointing at cylinder one"..... they mean pointing at the post in the dizzy cap that goes to the number one cylinder plug. One might be surprised at how many people don't get this part of it.

Also, check your plug wires to make sure they are in the correct order. :nice:

:rlaugh: Lol that was funny. I wish that was just it. I went over everything and it might be the starter or the start isn't getting power. The car starts cranking just fine and just kills all the power.

Everything would have fine if i didn't leave the intake sitting out of the car for 2 months. I got so busy at work. Note to self i'm not starting anything unless i know i have time.:eek:

Just for the hell of it have you tried a jump box or jumper cables? Do you mean it starts cranking and then slowly dies out or cranks and then suddenly cuts out?

It is doing just that. I put a jump box on it as well. I let it sit for 30/40 minutes and same crap. I had 2 different batteries on it already. I'm about to go buy a new one.

Lol yea this is one of those stupid things that breaks on your car after you install something. I've had this happen to my Cobra as well, just stupid random stuff. :nonono:

have you gone over the firing order 2 or 3 times? It goes counter-clockwise on the dizzy, 13726548 . the counter clockwise part screwed me up a few times!!!!

I got the mustang book, i did the wires 5 times already. O now that we're on that, the mustang book shows 2 tabs across from each other. I guess those are the markers for the firing order.

Now on the dist. there are 2 tabs for the screws, 2 tabs for the clips, and 2 tabs on are on the dist. its self. Now that being said, i went off the clips that u snap in. Was that right?

Funny thing about this me and my buddy were so pissed because we never owned a sports car with a dist. We both a coil pack cars. :shrug:

If this think is cranking and the suddenly loosing all power it sounds more like you have a loose wire. Check your battery cable connections at both ends. Make sure your grounds are good.

If it's suddenly looses power does it regain power as soon as you turn the key off and back on again?

If it's just dragging down the starter till the battery dies you might want to pull the starter and check it. Also turn the engine over by hand and make sure it turns free.

I dont' think so. I say i don't think so only because the the dist. popped right back in the same place where the marks were at. What would happen if it did get turned over?

Hello :D

I been following all this and it seems you are saying.........
it cranks fine but won't fire up like it should

Also ... It seems to look like ............
in your attempts to get it to fire up correctly ....
the battery drains down too low ... thus not cranking correctly

I have a bit of a concern about the Q being asked .........
what would happen it the motor was turned while the dizzy was out

Simply put ... you got two opportunities for tdc in a 4 stroke motor

One is for expelling the exhaust which is NOT the tdc you want to stab
the dizzy for correct operation.

The other is where both valves are closed to build compression for the
power stroke and this IS the tdc you desire.

That is the reason all those other peeps have told you ...........
to check if air is being pushed out of the #1 hole

Just think about it for a second :scratch:

If your motor got turned over while the dizzy was out :bang:

Other events of piston position & valve position are outta whack :notnice:

You got two timing events going on here :D

1) Mechanical event of piston, valves, dizzy rotor position
2) Electrical event of spark firing to piston position

Now ... if I did not understand something you said above :(
Please ... don't think I'm doing anything but trying to help here :)

Grady

If this think is cranking and the suddenly loosing all power it sounds more like you have a loose wire. Check your battery cable connections at both ends. Make sure your grounds are good.

If it's suddenly looses power does it regain power as soon as you turn the key off and back on again?

If it's just dragging down the starter till the battery dies you might want to pull the starter and check it. Also turn the engine over by hand and make sure it turns free.

Yup looses power and regains power as soon as i turn the key of and back again. I wanna say its the starter but i really have a hard time believing that you know. My GM friends would say,"typical Ford." :nono:

Hello :D

I been following all this and it seems you are saying.........
it cranks fine but won't fire up like it should

Also ... It seems to look like ............
in your attempts to get it to fire up correctly ....
the battery drains down too low ... thus not cranking correctly

I have a bit of a concern about the Q being asked .........
what would happen it the motor was turned while the dizzy was out

Simply put ... you got two opportunities for tdc in a 4 stroke motor

One is for expelling the exhaust which is NOT the tdc you want to stab
the dizzy for correct operation.

The other is where both valves are closed to build compression for the
power stroke and this IS the tdc you desire.

That is the reason all those other peeps have told you ...........
to check if air is being pushed out of the #1 hole

Just think about it for a second :scratch:

If your motor got turned over while the dizzy was out :bang:

Other events of piston position & valve position are outta whack :notnice:

You got two timing events going on here :D

1) Mechanical event of piston, valves, dizzy rotor position
2) Electrical event of spark firing to piston position

Now ... if I did not understand something you said above :(
Please ... don't think I'm doing anything but trying to help here :)

Grady
:nice:

Don't worry I don't think your knocking on me. But i am pissed at myself for letting this happen. I don't know what makes me more made, that fact this happened or the fact that its still going to have a loud tick when i start the car.

My GM friends would say,"typical Ford." :nono:

I would have quickly asked them :D

Which auto maker had the most sense considering all this :scratch:

One who put the dizzy at the back of the motor :notnice:
or
One who put the dizzy up front for easy access :nice:

Really ... if one throws in a Chevy dizzy with no respect to timing :crazy:

I kinda think it would not wanna start ... just the same ;)

Don't take no chit off those Chevy boyz :nono:

Theirs stinks just the same :Word:

Grady