Trim Color Restoration Questions...

OFOXGVN

Jun 5, 2016
Hey guys-

I've got a '90 triple white GT convertible that I've started to spend a little time on. It's a really nice all original 80K car and I plan to give it a little refresh here and there.

I'm hoping that somebody can tell me what color the upper windshield trim was on convertibles?

I had a Ford Carlite windshield put in it to replace the 27 year old pitted/chipped/faded one that was between the pillars. As long as I've got the trim off I'd like to make it correct. I redid the lower moldings with SEM trim black, but looking at the upper trim that was hidden from UV all those years, it looks a shade of semi-gloss. Every car that I look at on the internet seems to have the same faded black trim that mine did/does. I'm sure trim black would look great, but I don't think that's what they originally were.

I also had to replace an upper well molding. I finished the new piece in trim black. Hoping that was correct? I'm going to paint the rear well molding and opposite side well molding while they are on the car. If you've removed these you know it's not a ton of fun.

Hoping someone has an idea...

Thanks for your help!

• Sponsors (?)

This won't help you much other than to confirm to you that the original mouldings had an eggshell sheen to them and not a flat sheen like the SEM products. Just barely glossier. You can get it there by lightly buffing it by hand and a soft cloth with some very mild polish. It only takes a few swipes to make it step up to the eggshell sheen. Don't go hog wild or you'll have a full gloss on your trim.

Thanks, Dave. I was hoping you'd reply. This may have been my first post, but I've lurked long enough to see that you know your stuff.

I'll do some experimenting with some polish. I use Adams polishes... I'll give the finishing polish a try. I've got an extra set of windshield trim that I grabbed from the local salvage yard. I've got it trim blacked already and it'll work good for experimental purposes.

The upper windshield trim that was protected from UV by the top almost looks like it was painted with an actual semi-gloss black paint... I planned to add flattening agent to some gloss black until I got the right color, but that seems a little excessive when trim black would be close. Especially if I can buff some shine out of it.... I need to remember this is going to be a driver and not a Concours car.

Thanks again,

Kevin

Reactions: 1 user

Attachments

• 20170417_140121.jpg
    20170417_140121.jpg
    861.7 KB · Views: 102
That kit looks like it does a great job on the interior panels. Fortunately, my interior panels are near perfect...

I probably should have specified that I was inquiring about exterior trim. My bad.

Thanks for the reply!

Kevin

I think LMR sells SEM 39143 trim black, which is what I've been using for the exterior plastic parts that I've refinished.

My main concern was the metal upper/side windshield trim. On the notch/coupe cars this trim is sold on the aftermarket and can be replaced with new. I'm guessing SEM 39143 is the correct finish color in this case.

The convertible top/side windshield trim pieces are metal and attach much differently than the pieces on the non drop top cars. I haven't seen it available aftermarket and I'm not sure that's it's been reproduced. The part of the upper trim that was under the top for the past 27 years was a semi-gloss black.

Just wondered what Ford used on these pieces. More curiousity than anything at this point. I'm fairly certain that I can get the look I'm going for with SEM 39143 and a little hand polishing.

Thanks again for the reply.